Menu

Have to share this!

A controlled burn turned into a horrible wildfire in northern NM in 2000. My mom's house along with most of her neighborhood burned. Tonight we went to a friend's house who lives right behind where my mom's property is and as I drove up I noticed a huge wooden picnic table in her yard and thought of the table my stepdad made when I was in 4th grade. Turns out it is the same table! Before the fire this lady and some friends hoisted it over the fence since my mom no longer wanted it. While the fire consumed houses all around it and reduced a huge woodpile to nothing more than ash just 5 feet away, this huge, dried out table was untouched! A firefighter even put his lunch on it before heading into the canyon again. I had a picture taken with my dc at the table and hope to get a copy of the picture in my photo album here at my mom's with my siblings and me at the same table. I'm also going to go back and write when the table was made, by whom, and the names of all the dc who have used it. Isn't that cool?? OK, I thought it was cool! :D

wow!! That's amazing that it was spared!
Oh, this fire was the craziest thing! There were pictures in the newspaper of an entire quad gone yet in the backyard was a Little Tikes playset untouched. An entire block of houses was burned to the ground yet one unfortunate home remained (these were Group 11 quads/duplexes so it wasn't all a bad loss except for those that didn't burn and are now surrounded by luxury homes). But for a table that is over 25 years old and not seen a coat of sealant in 2 decades, it is amazing that it survived.

Oh, this fire was the craziest thing! There were pictures in the newspaper of an entire quad gone yet in the backyard was a Little Tikes playset untouched. An entire block of houses was burned to the ground yet one unfortunate home remained (these were Group 11 quads/duplexes so it wasn't all a bad loss except for those that didn't burn and are now surrounded by luxury homes). But for a table that is over 25 years old and not seen a coat of sealant in 2 decades, it is amazing that it survived.

Amazing!! I guess the fire hopped with the winds, no?