Menu

Primary Language Lessons vs. First Language Lessons

srlpenny

We are currently using First Language Lessons for the WTM with my 1st and 2nd grade children. But I really feel like it is moving too slow for them, and I am not liking how completely scripted it is... I think if I ask them one more time what is a common and what is a proper noun they'll laugh in my face. Repetition is important, but this seems to be too much. Also, because it is written for the instructor it is not at all independent, which is something that my older one (dd 6 1/2) craves.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not Primary Language Lessons sounds like it might be a btter fit for us ... my dh is concerned about "flip-flopping" too much, but since we JUST started homeschooling I feel liek several adjustments are probably to be expected.

TIA!

I was unable to find a language book appropriate for my dd (6). She reads about 5th, her grammar and usage and spelling is closer to 2nd but her handwriting is just now reaching 2nd. It has been nearly impossible to find a book to meet these needs! I am creating my own language book for her using a lot of different resources but I am including a lot of Primary Language Lessons. I am retyping most of the lessons in Italics (using Startwrite) to accomodate her better. Primary Language Lessons is designed for 2nd and 3rd grade and requires a lot of independent writing. I love the lessons but if I used it as it was designed she would have to write out all her lessons on paper. If your dd is a strong writer already than you may like this book. I really like the language and style but I know others disagree. I also have First Language Lessons and I agree with you about the style and the scripted teacher parts. You could, however, skip over a lot of this and only use what works for you. I found by the end of the book that I would skip over the teacher dialogue parts. If you read over it you can just teach the lesson in your words. I was also adding to the lessons by adding in the enrichments.

Hope this helps a little!:001_smile:

Also, there is a book at Google that is similiar to Primary Language Lessons called Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons (I think that is the name?). You could look at this one and any of the others (there are many-just type in language lessons) to see if you like it. You could also print it out for free if you do like it.

I haven't used Primary Language lessons, but I have used FLL all the way through.

One way we deal with the repetition is to make a joke out of it. When we come on the common/proper noun definition, my ds always starts laughing and can hardly get through the question. And some days I just skip the repetition when I know he has it. It requires a minute or two to read ahead, but that is it.

I have been very impressed with how much my children have learned from FLL.

we have used the Intermediate LL, with my 2 olders, and are planning to use PLL as a follow-up to EFTC for my 3rd grader. I haven't ever wanted something as scripted as FLL for our grammar lessons, as I feel confident in my abilities to explain and clarify any issues we may have. I really like the alternation of grammar exercises with composition exercises too, so that has informed my decision a lot. Also, I tend to have a very relaxed approach to grammar instruction, as it matters far more to me that my DC are articulate than that they can identify all and sundry parts of speech. That said, we are planning to use Mary Daly's First Whole Book of Diagrams as a supplement for both the olders and my 3rd grader. I like the idea of identifying all the words in a given sentence rather than individually, in a vacuum, as it were. :) Hope you get the info you need! And, yes, you are right--a certain amount of adjusting is normal and probably necessary in the HSing journey. :) Good luck!

There's also guides that you can use with PLL and ILL that will provide independent activities and a loose script to give presentation ideas or to follow exactly. You can see samplesof the guides here.

The activities are extensions of the lesson...some are coloring, drawing, or completing a picture that relates to the lesson (observation skills and attention to detail), some are research oriented, "reports", etc.

It also includes artist info and details about the pictures used for picture studies.

My plan is to start where ever dd needs to start to be on level where she is now, then go at her pace...so we could finish ILL in 5th or 6th or whenever. After finishing, we'll move on to R&S Grammar either level 4 or level 5. Depending on grade level and if I add some diagramming into the ILL lessons.