Menu

Living Books Curriculum

Marsha

I personally have not used it, but find it intriguing. A local hs group here, had Shelia Carroll (the author) put on a weekend workshop on Charlotte Mason and she was very, very good. She knows her Charlotte Mason having studied CM's methods as well as going to England to where she lived to study her. I can't endorse the product since I haven't used it, but I can endorse the author. Maybe check to see if there's a Yahoo group?

I had the guide at one point and even gathered the materials for grade 3 but I could not get started. The guide is set up weekly and I suppose I could have divided the pages of the books by 5 so I can assign to my girls, but the lack of the daily schedule totally hampered my plans and until it fizzled out and I end up selling all the guides that I have (grades 3,4, and 5). I, finally, sold it but I found the books selected to be of very good quality and interesting. I also like how the world and American history are combined.

Well there are Sonlight and Tapestry of Grace

I have used Sonlight in the past and we really enjoyed it. It really helped my daughters gain a love of reading. We were going through a phase where they just didn't want to read. Once I used this curriculum they now love to read "Sonlight" books and all books to be honest.

You probably have a 2 to 3 year teaching span with Sonlight when it comes to combining.

Tapestry of Grace is interesting. I haven't used it but am thinking about this too. Decisions, decisions.

This particular curriculum you can teach all grade levels K-12 with. This is more appealing to me because I have four girls and with Sonlight I would have to buy 3 different Cores(I'm including my almost 3yr old here) for their age levels. I just wish I could see pictures of what the curriculum looked like at each level of the curriculum. I'm a visual person. Need pictures. LOL.

There is also Winter Promise which is similar to Sonlight and My Father's World.

I have looked long and hard at Living Books Curriculum. I love CM and they have a very pure representation of her methods. I did not choose it because I wanted to have the LA portions all laid out for me. If I remember correctly (and I may not) you are supposed to pick copywork and dictation from the books yourself. I personally wanted that all done for me. As they get their older curriculum finished I may come back for high school.

In the end I went with Heart of Dakota because it included all the CMy things I love, but it was all laid out day by day including written narrations, copywork, dictation, etc. I am specifically referencing the manual Preparing Hearts for His Glory. This DOES NOT have picture and composer study, but I find these things easier to fit in than the LA portions.

I have looked long and hard at Living Books Curriculum. I love CM and they have a very pure representation of her methods. I did not choose it because I wanted to have the LA portions all laid out for me. If I remember correctly (and I may not) you are supposed to pick copywork and dictation from the books yourself. I personally wanted that all done for me. As they get their older curriculum finished I may come back for high school.

In the end I went with Heart of Dakota because it included all the CMy things I love, but it was all laid out day by day including written narrations, copywork, dictation, etc. I am specifically referencing the manual Preparing Hearts for His Glory. This DOES NOT have picture and composer study, but I find these things easier to fit in than the LA portions.

This is helpful... See, I'm one who doesn't like following others' pre-planned charts so this would be better for my teaching style:o)

Has anyone here used the older grades? I am wondering if it might be a good match for dd13.

Is it a lot like Ambleside Online? How much reading is required in the upper grades?

I'm thinking about downloading the teacher's guide for $58 and then getting the books from the library.

Or maybe I should just use the ideas and do my own thing! LOL

She's going to plan high school?!

I'm using HOD now too, but had considered this as well. In comparing the two, I felt that Living Books Curriculum looked like it would take too long each day and I'd never be able to teach 2 at once (and soon 3) like I can with HOD. I didn't see how to combine ages either.

I also didn't like to have to break down the weekly plans. But, I LOVE the books and also like the combo of american and world history, although I like HOD's world history that is taught in context of american history (instead of separately). Anyone know how long per day is spent to teach using LBC?