Menu

Does anyone watch the new show " I didn't know I was pregnant?"

And not recognizing baby kicks...if you're very busy and not looking for them, I can see how they could be missed, or mistaken for gas!

Oh my gosh! I could never have mistaken baby kicks (at least after 20 weeks) for gas or missed them entirely. All my babies (including the one due in 3 months) have been very active.

I watched this show (we just got satellite TV because of the digital conversion). Many of the babies were found to be premature, 30 weeks or so, so the mom wouldn't have had the really huge belly or lots of fetal movement that happens at the end of pregnancy.

And I could see not knowing. Notice none of these women were using NFP LOL. NFP forces you to know what is going on with your body. And the mom of 3 who gave birth in the fast food restaurant - she had taken 2 negative pregnancy tests done at a clinic!

It's hard to me to understand not knowing, but I am taking these women at their word.

I can see it happening especially with the smaller babies.

I know a lot of women who after their first babies, say they still fell flutters and thumps that remind them of being pg. It is just gas, so I can see why or how the opposite can be true too, people who have had a baby before may mistake real baby flutters for gas.

I didn't have morning sickness with any of my pregnancies, but I was really tired. I can totally imagine someone sleeping more (especially because several of the people said they were under a lot of stress) and thinking....hmmmm, I seem to be gaining a little weight.

I have a friend who got pg as a 22yo and hid her pregnancy from everyone including her family. She gained some weight, normal for her to fluctuate and the baby bump spread out around her, instead of poking out. I briefly saw her with her shirt off when she was 8mo along and didn't suspect a thing.

I too had cycle irregularity before and during my pregnancies, so that would have never been a clue to me either. I was 6weeks pg with ds14 when my boss mentioned I should check to see if I was pregnant because I was tired all the time. If she hadn't mentioned it, I don't know how long it would have taken me to realize!

My breasts didn't swell a lot until the end of my pregnancy. If I thought I had gained a little weight, it would have completely explained any swelling I did notice or pain in the area. I have friends who have pain all the time and their breast change full sizes with menstrual cycles, so that could be overlooked too.

My sister was in denial about a pregnancy. She has dd's born 11mths apart. She was pregnant with dd#2 when she was finding out that dd#1 wasn't expected to live until 3yo. The stress in her life was overwhelming and she was living at a pediatric hospital of all places (easy to p/u a pg test :0) there). She refused to get a pregnancy test, and insisted the obvious signs to us that she was pg again, were stress and from gaining weight sitting all day. She finally relented when she was 6-7mth along and was showing, very obviously. We all knew she was pregnant from the first few months, but her mind couldn't wrap around it.

As for the younger teens, they are used to their bodies changing, cycles being irregular, and so I can totally see that they would miss obvious symptoms!