Menu

Questions about math - we're using Singapore.

We just finished up review 1 in PM 1B. I don't think the girls really get the concept of subtraction. How do I help them with this? They've been using the 100 board to answer problems, and sometimes beans. Is that OK? I can tell they need math facts practice and I know I need to add that with Singapore. We're about to take the rest of the week, at least, and do that.

Someone had posted on the boards, before they switched to the new forums, about Singapore and practice. I think they said that the Intensive Practice was better than the Extra Practice. Does that sound right? Are the Challenging Word Problems also worthwhile? I need to get the HG, I already know that.

TIA!

Beth

First of all, I love the HIG. I don't know if this idea came from the HIG or TM but have you done this? You draw out a picture on the board . . . say, a pond. You draw in a buch of flowers, some frogs, some trees, ducks (on the pond and some flying in or away), et c. Then you tell stories with the picture subrtacting as you go. For example, you draw in a little girl and say she has come to pick some flowers for her mother. then you erase a flower or two. Draw some acorns on the tree and a squirrel. Do the same things. I think this was in the HIG but i'm not sure.

Be sure to use lots and lots of manipulatives, too.

My daughter really loved the picture stories, though.

You probably know by now that dry-erase markers come in just about every color under the sun. They come in very handy with the picture stories!

I find Intensive Practice to be more difficult than Extra Practice, so I think it depends what you're looking for; EP seems to be simply additional problems similar to what is in the workbooks, but IP takes it a step further, I think.

In first grade I used Miquon as a supplement, and also lots of computer math games (Reader Rabbit, etc.).

Extra Practice has more of the same types of problems that are in the workbook. They are for the child who needs extra reinforcement.

Intensive Practice is for the child who wants more math and it takes the concepts taught in the text and workbook to an entirely different level.

Personally, what we do with Singapore:

At the begining of the school day we do active math facts practice. We toss a ball, bean bag or stuffed animal back and forth and practice the math facts. I say the problem 1 plus 1 is and the child says the answer and tosses the ball back to me. We do the problems in a variety of ways.

1 plus 1 equals

18 minus 9 is

one 2 is

2 times 4 is

27 divided by 3 is

Then I take time after doing some other memory work to explore math. I take the text, math stories, manipulatives, etc. And we work together for a while on math concepts.

We then do phonics and copywork and then I have them do the work in the text.

So I really break up the math lesson but hit math from 3 different angles each day--drill work, exploration/teaching and workbook work.

I also do something for my children called review books. I take a binder and print off worksheets (math and phonics), coloring pages, dot to dot, mazes, etc. and put them together for them to do on their own. So I usually put math worksheet on topics we have already covered in these books. So they get extra review that way.:)

We just finished up review 1 in PM 1B. I don't think the girls really get the concept of subtraction. How do I help them with this? They've been using the 100 board to answer problems, and sometimes beans. Is that OK? I can tell they need math facts practice and I know I need to add that with Singapore. We're about to take the rest of the week, at least, and do that.

Someone had posted on the boards, before they switched to the new forums, about Singapore and practice. I think they said that the Intensive Practice was better than the Extra Practice. Does that sound right? Are the Challenging Word Problems also worthwhile? I need to get the HG, I already know that.

TIA!

Beth

I don't usually let my kids use a 100 board because it is a bit abstract. I prefer to model the concepts with either cuisenaire rods or popsicle sticks. To help them understand the concept, I would go back and reteach that section of the text using more manipulatives. Try emphasizing that subtraction is finding the missing part. Take a bundle of popsicle sticks in a rubber band and explain that you have x number of popsicle sticks total. Give them the same number of popsicle sticks that aren't bundled together. If I give away this many popsicle sticks, how many do I have left? Separate the loose popsicle sticks into two groups and find the answer. Then explain, I took my whole bundle of x number popsicle sticks and split it into two parts. One part contains this many sticks, the other part this many sticks. Then give them a new problem with the sticks one at a time and ask them to explain to you how to answer the problem. If explain it without any trouble, then move on. If they need a bit of help just repeat the two or three workbook exercises on subtraction before moving on. Begin each day by modeling a problem or two then have them try to explain one back to you.

As far as math facts, 1B is definitely the time to begin drilling math facts. Because 2A introduces addition and subtraction with regrouping where you work the problems in a veritcal format. You'll want to have those facts down before that second section of 2A.

As far as supplements, I like both the Intensive Practice and the Challenging Word Problems. I know that if my girls understand the concepts well enough to do the IP problems that they have mastered the concept and are ready to move on. The CWP are a great way to keep up math skills over the summer.

HTH

Guest Lorna

Try unit cubes. My children learned at school using a hundred board and never really understood. It was too abstract. Unit cubes worked a treat and we could use them for all the future concepts.

for the great ideas!

Closeacademy, I LOVE your ball-throwing math facts practice. I'm going to give that a try for sure. Also, we will be revisiting concepts with manipulatives.

Right now, we're putting together our math facts lapbooks from Knowledge Box Central. Hopefully that will be a good aid too.

Glad you liked my idea. I actually got it out of a book that lines up really well with Singapore called Teaching Mathematics in Rudolf Steiner Schools by Ron Jarmon. He is a bit more rigorous than we are likely to be at home but it is a great resource.

And the ball thing has really worked for us. :)

We used pennies as manipulatives as well as the abacus from Right Start Math (it has 100 beads, in lines of ten, 5 of two different colors). Other things we have done are addition and subtraction flashcards---if she gets the answer, she holds it, if not, I do. Since she was into Disney Princesses and Barbie, I found a pack of flashcards in those themes at the dollar store. I am sure there are other games you could play--shut the box, card games, simple board games, etc. There are plenty of math drill games online as well for free. My daughter likes the ones from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ and Leon's Math Dojo.

We are now in the middle of 2B and I am seeing a substantial leap in her math facts memory and her ability to do the basic addition and subtraction problems easily. We picked up at the educational supply store a self-checking cardboard set of addition and subtraction problems (one each). They have a beginning level with, I believe, 50 problems, then a more advanced with 100 problems. There is a cut out window for each answer---clip the piece to a sheet of paper, do the work, then flip over the cardboard and line up to check the answers. I have been doing this to see how many she can get right in 5 minutes. My goal is eventually all 100 in 3 minutes. We were stuck at 50 or so addition and 20 or so subtraction in 5 minutes (each, not together) for months but suddenly she could do 80 addition and 50 subtraction about a month ago.