Menu

HS Credit/ CC Credit Question Transcript

Here in WA state a 5 credit class (meets an hour a day, 4 or 5 days a week) at a community college for one quarter (9 weeks) is counted as equivalent to one YEAR of a high school class. I am not saying the learning is equivalent, but under our dual enrollment system, that is how the public school counts the college classes.

In my transcript I listed it like this

Arabic 100* 1 credit

Arabic 102* 1 credit

Ancient Lit 1 credit

*classes taken at Highline Community College

So the Ancient Lit class was something we did at home (or at our homeschool co-op), Arabic was done at the Community College. Both colleges Alex applied to received the official CC transcript in addition to my homeschool high school one.

Does that help.

a 3 credit class (one that meets 3 hours a week) might be considered a 1/2 credit.

Here in WA state a 5 credit class (meets an hour a day, 4 or 5 days a week) at a community college for one quarter (9 weeks) is counted as equivalent to one YEAR of a high school class. I am not saying the learning is equivalent, but under our dual enrollment system, that is how the public school counts the college classes.

Arabic 100* 1 credit

Arabic 102* 1 credit

Ancient Lit 1 credit

So the Ancient Lit class was something we did at home (or at our homeschool co-op), Arabic was done at the Community College. Both colleges Alex applied to received the official CC transcript in addition to my homeschool high school one.

Does that help.

a 3 credit class (one that meets 3 hours a week) might be considered a 1/2 credit.

Arabic 100* 1 credit

Arabic 102* 1 credit

Ancient Lit 1 credit

Does that help.

A 3 credit hour course here is considered equivalent to a 1 credit high school course (albeit at a higher level). We have a lot of public school kids who take concurrent courses and this is how the high schools credit it.

It gets trickier when it is a 2 hour or 1 hour course. My son took orchestra which was a 2 hour course (I believe) so it really wasn't 1 credit for high school, but with his private instruction as well as his participation in our church orchestra, I went ahead and gave him the full credit.

So...on the transcript, I list the course like this:

*English 12 (Fall) 1 credit

* indicates course taken concurrently at Rah Rah University during 12th grade.

I might also indicate the university course name in parentheses if it is different from what is typically seen on a high school transcript, i.e. "Macroeconomics" rather than just "economics". But I only list the high school credit I am granting. Then I attach a transcript from the university so that admissions can see how the university granted credit and grades.

One high school credit per c.c. course, regardless of how many c.c. hours. It gets way too complicated otherwise.

On my umbrella school transcripts, I listed c.c. course credits with a "T", as in "10T" (in Calif, we give 10 credits per year per course instead of 1), and I included a legend that said, "T indicates transfer credit, high school and above." No colleges or other high schools (for my students who transferred back into public or private school) ever questioned that.

I put the CC classes on the high school transcript and marked them with a footnote saying that they were taken at CC. For simplicity's sake, I counted a semester class as a 1/2 year high school class, even if it had a lab and was worth 4 credits. My son didn't need the extra credits. I didn't give grades for our home classes. I listed the CC class grade beside the CC class and listed the CC gpa at the bottom where a normal high school gpa would go. In the blank place next to the home classes where a grade would normally go, I put "pass". (Probably not the best option - lots of people say colleges don't like seeing pass/fail, but I did it anyway.)

-Nan