Menu

What could we use for a study of Oceanography?

This would be for a 7th and 10th grader.

I'd prefer something we could complete in 18 or so weeks, but am interested in full year curriculum as well.

Thanks.

Unfortunately this book is geared for grades 5 - 8, but it is terrific:

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/gems/oceancurrents.html

I did the activities in the book with a group of 6th graders. There are some wonderful explorations on currents, demonstrations in which students see how layering in the water occurs because of heat and salinity. The materials used in the demonstrations are easily acquired, making the labs an inexpensive component of the course.

In addition, we used the book, The Mysterious Ocean Highway: Benjamin Franklin and the Gulf Stream. Again, this book is lower than what you want, but it may be possible to find something similar which explains the scientific research that Franklin performed while crossing the Atlantic to negotiate assistance from the French during our Revolutionary War.

I do have a college Oceanography text on my shelf, Introductory Oceanography by Thurman and Burton. This is something that I picked up for $1 at a used book sale. It assumes that students have studied chemistry and biology.

Some wonderful activities in the field of oceanography are suggested on the Sea Education Assocition's website:

http://www.sea.edu/academics/k12.asp

Jane

My friend's daughter is interested in becoming a wildlife photographer and they are using this course this year. She did take a biology class before, but I don't know how strong she was in it. They are really enjoying the course.

HTH

I wish we could use this, but we've not done Biology yet. (Guess I really need to post to that anti-thread...)

I checked out the Apologia site and it says that the prerequisite for Marine Biology was Biology. Such a bummer because this looks so interesting. Much more so than regular Biology.

Thanks.

Thanks...these look interesting. There seems to be many many cool experiments out there for Oceanography...but not a good book we can use. I'd even look into Marine Biology...but everything is either below or above the kids levels.

Thanks.

Apologia's course is marine biology, not oceanography, right? Related, but the latter has more of an emphasis on physical science.

Jane

Yes, but I'd go either direction. My plan is to do Winter Promise Sea and Sky next year with the Older Learners Guide for my 7th and 10th grader. I'll have to really beef this up..so I'm planning on using Classical Astronomy Signs and Seasons for the Sky part, I just need something for the Sea portion.

It was good of you to point that out....I had not really considered which type of program Rhonda might really be looking for.

Hey Rhonda, I'll ask my friend what she thinks about Apologia's comment that you need basic bio first.

Oh, thanks Sharon, that would be great.

Thanks...these look interesting. There seems to be many many cool experiments out there for Oceanography...but not a good book we can use. I'd even look into Marine Biology...but everything is either below or above the kids levels.

Would you consider a DVD series?

Did you see the Prentice Hall text?

This, described as ocean science for non-scientists, might be on level for your kids.

Would you consider a DVD series?

Did you see the Prentice Hall text?

This, described as ocean science for non-scientists, might be on level for your kids.

No..a dvd series would not work for us, looks interesting though.

I wish I could see samples of the Prentice Hall. I really don't like to buy anything without looking at it first or getting ots of reviews.

The last one is err....well.. I guess we really will need something more creation science for this study.

Finding something suitable is turning out to be harder than I thought it would be.

Thanks.

I think I found something I can use..though it is marine biology rather than Oceanography. Rainbow Resource carries it. It is put out by J Weston Walch publishing and it is called simply Marine Biology. They offer a teacher's guide as well as the student guide plus a lab manual. If I can use it I think I'll have my ds use the Marine Biology Coloring Book too.

Has anyone used this Marine Biology book..or taken a look at it? Any comments?

Thanks!

I called her and she talked with her daughter about it, they both felt that Apologia's Marine Biology is pretty demanding and written on a more advanced level than Exploring Creation with Biology. They said they would not recommend doing it with out benefit of a previous bio course. :(

Sorry....but I'm glad to see that it looks like you may have found something else that will work well for you.

I called her and she talked with her daughter about it, they both felt that Apologia's Marine Biology is pretty demanding and written on a more advanced level than Exploring Creation with Biology. They said they would not recommend doing it with out benefit of a previous bio course. :(

Sorry....but I'm glad to see that it looks like you may have found something else that will work well for you.

Aw! I was just starting to think we might be able to use it. Did you read my post about Marine Biology? I posted about e-mailing Apologia with my question about using it w/out first using basic biology. They e-mailed me back with an answer.

And yes, if I can't use it I may have the other book as a back up plan.

Thanks.

Looking back at your original post, my biggest concern would be for the 7th grader. The family that I know has kids that are really good readers, so when they say it is a pretty big step up from Bio, I believe them. But, I would also temper that with the fact that they took a year off science between Bio and Marine Bio because they didn't think their daughter would be able to handle the math in Chemistry as she was struggling in that area. The mom and daughter tend to be a little bit science phobic.

What about going with the Marine Bio from Apologia for the older child and letting the 7th grader come along, but with less demands? Marine bio can be so much fun, especially if you are able to go to the coast or aquariums. We have gone on pre-historic shark teeth hunts a couple times, even though we haven't studied marine bio or oceanography in a while.

You could always go the build-your-own route too...but that is so time consuming....

I am sorry I don't feel like I'm being much help here...

Looking back at your original post, my biggest concern would be for the 7th grader. The family that I know has kids that are really good readers, so when they say it is a pretty big step up from Bio, I believe them. But, I would also temper that with the fact that they took a year off science between Bio and Marine Bio because they didn't think their daughter would be able to handle the math in Chemistry as she was struggling in that area. The mom and daughter tend to be a little bit science phobic.

What about going with the Marine Bio from Apologia for the older child and letting the 7th grader come along, but with less demands? Marine bio can be so much fun, especially if you are able to go to the coast or aquariums. We have gone on pre-historic shark teeth hunts a couple times, even though we haven't studied marine bio or oceanography in a while.

You could always go the build-your-own route too...but that is so time consuming....

I am sorry I don't feel like I'm being much help here...

Oh but you are. Just having someone to bounce ideas off of is a HUGE help. :)

I'm not worried about the 7th grader AT ALL. He will be getting plenty from WP and Classical Astronomy. I'll just have him read extra books from the library..do a few extra experiments ...a few more labs and papers.

I think I need to look at this book. But I'd really value the opinions of others who have completed this text.

Thanks again!

I am planning to use WP Sea and Sky with my 14yo next year.

I was thinking about using Power Basics Earth Science from Rainbow Resource. We would use Unit 3- The Ground Beneath Us and Unit 4- Earth's Water Systems first semester. Depending on how interested he is I might skip Tools of Navigation and do Unit 3- The Ground Beneath Us at that point. Then, he could do unit 2- The Atmosphere Around Us and Unit 1- The Universe Around Us second semester.

However, my oldest is using Apologia’s Marine Biology this year and we have the multi-media CD. Since ds will have completed biology, I thought I might pull in some of that as applicable. A friend did Astronomy this year and has offered to let me borrow some of her things as well.

However, at Home Science Tools Exploring Planet Earth that is used in WP S&S is listed as being for grades 6-12; The Weather Book and The Ocean Book are listed as grades 3-12; Exploring the Solar System is listed as grades 4-9. So, until I have them to compare to the other materials I am unsure how much additional work is truly necessary.

Not much help, but glad to know someone else will be doing S&S with older children.

Mandy

I am planning to use WP Sea and Sky with my 14yo next year.

I was thinking about using Power Basics Earth Science from Rainbow Resource. We would use Unit 3- The Ground Beneath Us and Unit 4- Earth's Water Systems first semester. Depending on how interested he is I might skip Tools of Navigation and do Unit 3- The Ground Beneath Us at that point. Then, he could do unit 2- The Atmosphere Around Us and Unit 1- The Universe Around Us second semester.

However, my oldest is using Apologia’s Marine Biology this year and we have the multi-media CD. Since ds will have completed biology, I thought I might pull in some of that as applicable. A friend did Astronomy this year and has offered to let me borrow some of her things as well.

However, at Home Science Tools Exploring Planet Earth that is used in WP S&S is listed as being for grades 6-12; The Weather Book and The Ocean Book are listed as grades 3-12; Exploring the Solar System is listed as grades 4-9. So, until I have them to compare to the other materials I am unsure how much additional work is truly necessary.

Not much help, but glad to know someone else will be doing S&S with older children.

Mandy

Mandy, did you son do biology before Marine Biology??

Also I did not know that Planet Earth, Weather Book, and the Ocean Book were considered high school level, thanks for telling me.

Looks like you have some good ideas. Thanks for sharing them with me!

Mandy, did you son do biology before Marine Biology??

Yes, my oldest ds did biology last year and marine biology this year. My 14yo is doing biology this year, so he shouldn't have any problems if we decide to use the marine biology text. However, since I already own the book and there won't be any additional cost, we may just use the oceanography portions which (I can't imagine) shouldn't include any biology anyway.

HTH-

Mandy

Yes, my oldest ds did biology last year and marine biology this year. My 14yo is doing biology this year, so he shouldn't have any problems if we decide to use the marine biology text. However, since I already own the book and there won't be any additional cost, we may just use the oceanography portions which (I can't imagine) shouldn't include any biology anyway.

HTH-

Mandy

Oh, ok, I understand now. Thanks again.