Menu

Analytical Grammar

mazakaal

We are using AG for 6th-7th-8th and have finished the 6th & 7th grade portions along with the associated review. Before AG, we used LLATL for 2nd-3rd-4th and Shurley 5. In other words, ds wasn't starting AG with no grammar knowledge.

Season 1 was great. We worked every day for 10 weeks, then reviewed every other week with very good retention.

Season 2 was more difficult (phrases & clauses). I started the review as suggested 1x per month, but eventually changed to 1x every 3 weeks to get a bit more review and use all the review pages (they give a few extra). I would have liked more review here, but ds has good retention (it may be my retention that is not so good).

Season 3 (usage) should go smoothly.

I LOVE AG. It has probably been the best purchase I have made for middle school. You may read my review in this thread.

That said, different programs work better/worse for different students. Although I liked Shurley 5, the amount of repetition in Shurley 6 was outrageous, imo. I have no need to beat a dead horse. AG may not be the best for students that need a LOT of repetition.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I just saw this in person yesterday at the convention in Richmond, VA and it looks great! I really like the whole idea of how it is laid out. I have been using R&S 6 this year with ds and completely happy with it. But now that I saw AG I'm thinking of switching. :tongue_smilie:

My son did the first unit this year (for 7th). It covered parts of speech and diagramming very thoroughly, and he did really well on the review sheets for the rest of the year.

However, when he took the PASS test last week I noticed he had some trouble with punctuation and capitalization. They weren't covered in the first unit of AG and it never occurred to me to review them before the test.

Amy

I don't know if it's working for ds right now since he always seem to get the diagramming from Rod Staff English. But I do notice though that with constant teaching from me, like, okay son, the beginning of this sentence is a prepositional phrase. It has 5 words in it but it's only acting as one part of speech. What does the phrase answer? Does it answer when, where, why, how? If so, what part of speech is that? What part of speech answers those question? Noun? No. Verb? Yes. So, what can modify (or back up) verbs? Adverbs. Perfect, there you go. SO where would you put the prepositional phrase under? Under the predicate. You've got it! son.

Okay, this may be too detailed but constant questioning like this, is what's helping ds understand, remember and get AG. I go this idea from reading Michael Clay Thompsons' Magic Lens. Very, very helpful.

Oops. Forgot to say I started ds12 this January 2009 and he's a 7th grader going to 8th grader. We stopped RS English 7 before that, and started Units 1-9, which we are finishing up. I'm only going through the first session, and will continue to finish RS English 7.

I don't know if it's working for ds right now since he always seem to get the diagramming from Rod Staff English. But I do notice though that with constant teaching from me, like, okay son, the beginning of this sentence is a prepositional phrase. It has 5 words in it but it's only acting as one part of speech. What does the phrase answer? Does it answer when, where, why, how? If so, what part of speech is that? What part of speech answers those question? Noun? No. Verb? Yes. So, what can modify (or back up) verbs? Adverbs. Perfect, there you go. SO where would you put the prepositional phrase under? Under the predicate. You've got it! son.

Okay, this may be too detailed but constant questioning like this, is what's helping ds understand, remember and get AG. I go this idea from reading Michael Clay Thompsons' Magic Lens. Very, very helpful.

Edited by LUV2EDU