Menu

Does anyone have green anoles (lizards)?

We just got a green anole as a gift. I am trying to figure out the best home for it. Does anyone have any advice, especially about lights?

I found this on the web, but I am having a hard time matching this up with pet store website info.

1 Vitalite (or other UVB-producing fluorescent) - 12-14 hours a day

1 basking light

1 nocturnal heat light, as needed to maintain night time temperatures

I'd really like to make the best home we can for our little anole. Help!

I had one for just over a year. I never used a nighttime lamp with it. But I did have a uv bulb and a heat bulb. I can't really give good advice as I think I was not doing the right things either. Are you feeding it live crickets? Store bred crickets don't have the natural calcium that 'wild; crickets would. So they need to have calcium powder dusted on them before feeding to the anole. (can find in the pet store).

They are crawling all over our house. That tells me they like heat and humidity...:lol:

We don't keep them as pets, but they are all over our wood piles, house, and porch.

I don't imagine they are too finicky, unless you live in a very cold environment. Get a heat lamp, spray the shavings and provide it some yummy bugs to eat.

At least that is how ours seem to thrive.

Good luck!

Thinking about it further, there is a natural heat light put out by GE that is specifically for lizards. I found it in the lighbulb section of Wal Mart. I bought it for my chicks, but it would work for lizards as well.

Edited by runninmommy

OK, this could be a fun thread for us southern gals.

We had one living in our bedroom for almost two years. I often saw him but he was fast. I had to remember to vacuum behind our rocking chair each week because that is where he would "go".

When I was cleaning on top of my sons dresser a couple of weeks ago and complaining about how dusty it was, I found one living up there behind his pictures. He's now somewhere in the playroom where we chased him to.

One also lived behind my dd's doll house for quite a long time, he was also fast.

I will tell you that they can be played with in the pool for hours by a 4 year old and still live to tell the tale after several hours recovering on the table.

The tails fall off very easily, but they regrow them. My kids can usually tell if they have caught a particular one before and when by looking at the tail.

Cats, or at least my cat, do not like eating them no matter how many times a child crams one into their face.

My son could probably tell you some more practical things about them, but I hope you have lots of fun with your new pet.

Melissa

Yes, we have those.....EVERYWHERE. Seriously, we cant even use our back porch because they live out there and poop all over everything. It's so gross to see those black lizard droppings!

Oh you mean as a pet? :lol: No LOL...I actually wish I could exterminate them, but I'm sure they are eating things like icky spiders, which may be much worse.

Oh my, I am just getting ready to spend big buck on one anole!! I knew they lived in the South, but I thought they were out in the wild somewhere -- I had no idea that they were all over people's houses and porches!

And thank you for the calcium tip! We're just off to a big pet store to equip our anole's home -- I'll add reptile vitamins/supplements to the list.

Hi,

We've had our anole for over a year and a half. Make sure you get an

artificial tree for him to climb on. Mine often hangs out on it right under the

light that's sitting on top of the cage. Oh, not to contradict anyone but I've

always bought crickets from the pet store without any supplements. ??

Good Luck!!

OK, this could be a fun thread for us southern gals.

Cats, or at least my cat, do not like eating them no matter how many times a child crams one into their face.

Melissa

Unfortunately for us, our cat does. Ewwwww. Whenever we leave the back door open for the pets to let themselves in and out, we have to watch this cat enter because she will often bring her latest prize in with her....and not always dead. I can't tell you how many times I have screamed because one of her not dead prizes have crawled over my foot or popped out of hiding spot. Ick! Gross!