Menu

I am thinking of learning to play the mandolin.

I'm teaching myself! My dh bought me a mandolin after I tried one at a party where a friend was playing in a band. It's quite easy! Or maybe it's just because I played both the guitar and violin. It's like the guitar because it has frets, but the strings are the same notes as a violin.

Anyway, it's a beautiful instrument! Enjoy.

It's never too late to learn something new, right!?

That said, I will admit that I attempted to learn acoustic guitar back when I was in my early 20's, and it didn't go so well. I was unwilling/unable to commit enough time to practicing to get very good. And, as a grown-up, I had to fight my perfectionist desires to want to BE GOOD right away. I think my expectations were too high. I could play. But, I couldn't play like I wanted to. I simply share that with you as a word of warning. Just enjoy, do your best, devote some time to it everyday if possible, know it's just fun right now.

Oh, and don't either you or your son show up at Janna's house until maybe the year 2010. :D

Good luck, and have a blast!

Doran

I take my kids to lessons on Tuesday at a guitar store and I've been eying the mandolins. I'm thinking of asking for one for mother's day.

My son plays violin/fiddle, which is the same tuning so I could share with him. I wouldn't be able to afford a teacher but I do know music so I think I could manage with a video/book alone. I learned some Appalachian Dulcimer years ago that way and just dusted it back off this week.

Of course, there is this other part of me that wants to thump a string bass. My brother used to play and could teach me. :p Those are a bit more costly and will probalby have to wait.

Let me know if you do!

You're in luck! Free mandolin lessons by Watch & Learn. We've bought a couple of learning videos from here and they are good. The company offers instant downloads if you don't want to wait for the DVD.

The free lessons above are also on

in short lesson segments.

Good luck.

I ought to check out saxophone lessons on YouTube for my dh, also!

Thanks a bunch!

• 1 month later...

It looks like we're in the market for one if we can get a good buy on a beginning instrument. I need one with an easy action so my son, who is just turning eight, can double on it with me. (He already plays fiddle.)

I was wondering if you've found anything since this was first posted.