Menu

Need crock pot purchasing suggestions

Mine very loved and used 10yo machine finally bit the dust a couple of months ago. My MIL is giving me $20 for my birthday to buy one. I have been sitting on Amazon for 40 min and only a handful of reviews are positive, no matter the brand!! So I need some advice and reccomendations. I do not want to go over $50 (all the B-day money I have!) and would like it to be as large as possible since I do use it so much.

My questions are:

What brand do you have? How many quarts? Programmable? Which would you reccommend to someone who uses it at least 3 times a week? (We are a family of almost 6) What brand to stay away from? And last but not least, where did you get yours?

...it is a crock pot brand crock pot. mouthful.

i bought it at target on sale.

this is the smaller version of mine, i could not find the larger model online

http://www.target.com/Crock-Pot-5-Qt-Stainless-Steel-Slow-Cooker/dp/B001DIXFAA/sr=1-1/qid=1244665565/ref=sr_1_1/190-0442614-0421008?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Acrockpot&page=1

my model has a removable crock- goes right into the dishwasher.

hth!

Read reviews whenever you can find any to learn of any models with potential problems. You're doing that already, so are there any patterns to what you read? Brands and/or models which consistently are rated poorly for the same reasons?

My current crockpot was a gift from a close friend. (Her mother gave her a new crockpot one Christmas, not remembering that her daughter already had one -- so daughter gave her old one to me.) I looked it up and learned something my friend did not know, that the lid to the model (now mine) often cracks after use of the crockpot and falls from the handle. Yikes ! So I'm vigilant. (The pot itself is wonderful.)

I don't incline toward bells-and-whistles for a crockpot. All I want is "high", "low", and "off" ! Some cooks like to have different sizes, because of different kinds of recipes. If you want to use yours for baking (or would that be considered "steaming" ?), look for one with whatever shape and racks will accommodate those kinds of recipes.

We number six, and I use ours at least weekly. I have a 6 qt., and would not be happy with any smaller.

Cook's Illustrated did a very comprehensive review back in 2007 -- if you have a subscription, here's the link: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/results.asp?docid=10677

Bad news is that their best-rated ones were more than you want to pay -- $179 for the "highly recommended", and their least expensive "recommended" was $59. The only one not recommended was the West Bend oval one. Here are the names and categories (the links link within Cooks Illustrated, so unless you have an online content subscription, you won't be able to view). These prices were listed in 2007, so I'm sure they have changed. I thought that the reviews of the "gimmicks" were interesting and helpful more than anything.

Highly recommended:

All-Clad Stainless Steel Slow Cooker with Ceramic Insert - $179

This cooker aced the evaporation test and all the cooking tests, and it has every feature we want, including insert handles and a clear lid. Provided a steady, slow heat that is ideal for breaking down the collagen in tough cuts of meat without overcooking them.

Recommended:

KitchenAid Stainless Steel Slow Cooker $129

his model cooked slightly hotter than the other contenders, but none of the finished food suffered as a result. The slightly squared insert shape was praised for being "easy to pour out of.

Cuisinart Slow Cooker $99

This machine did very well in all cooking tests. Several testers were surprised that the bulky, boxy exterior of this cooker got very hot during long cooking. "It looks like it should be insulated," said one.

Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker with Temperature Probe $60While the temperature probe itself wasn't a lure for testers ("slow cooking shouldn't be that temperature-specific"), this model passed the evaporation test and performed well in the cooking tests. This cooker was downgraded for being the only one without handles on the insert, which made removing it difficult—especially when hot.

Recommended with Reservations:

Rival Oval VersaWare Crock Pot (price not listed)

"No timer?" asked testers. "No 'on' light?" The opaque lid was another strike against this cooker, but it did perform well in the cooking tests. Several testers complained about the "overhanging lip" on the insert, which necessitates complete inversion to pour out contents.

Hamilton Beach Oval Stay or Go Slow Cooker $40

The gimmicky travel clips and recipe name tag were not part of this model's appeal, but testers did appreciate its solid performance in the kitchen and the "straightforward, no frills" ease of operation. This inexpensive cooker does not have a timer, which is a serious drawback.

Not Recommended

West Bend Oval Versatility Slow Cooker $65

Testers complained about the lack of an "on" light, especially since this machine begins heating as soon as it's plugged in-there is no "off" setting. This model was also downgraded for heating faster on "low" than "high" and for having an awkward-fitting lid that "falls into the pot easily."

Mine very loved and used 10yo machine finally bit the dust a couple of months ago. My MIL is giving me $20 for my birthday to buy one. I have been sitting on Amazon for 40 min and only a handful of reviews are positive, no matter the brand!! So I need some advice and reccomendations. I do not want to go over $50 (all the B-day money I have!) and would like it to be as large as possible since I do use it so much.

My questions are:

What brand do you have? How many quarts? Programmable? Which would you reccommend to someone who uses it at least 3 times a week? (We are a family of almost 6) What brand to stay away from? And last but not least, where did you get yours?

I have the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker with Temperature Probe and I love it! The company states that there is no lead in the crock (other than any trace amounts that may be present naturally -- they don't use leaded glaze). I love the temperature probe. I put a chuck roast in there, and it comes out absolutely perfect, every time. I like that there are no "hot spots" that burn the food. It cooks very evenly. I like the lid clips for taking food to pot lucks and family dinners at my mom's house.

It costs more than $20, but I have been very happy with the performance.

• 2 months later...