Menu

help me remember this book

i think it was written in the 60's and i loved it as a child. there is a girl who moves to an old house out in the country, a part of the house was burned years ago and there is a sundial in the garden. somehow (can't remember) she starts to see the ghosts of a boy and girl who lived there at the time the house was burned, and she becomes friends with them. then she goes back in time (again, no clue how) and saves the boy from being burned in the fire. i don't believe it was british, which most of the books i loves as a child were, but american. any ideas? i have been trying to remember this book for years!

Hm, that does sound familiar! But I can't think what it is... My first thought was maybe "Time at the Top", but I don't think that's it. Also thought maybe one of the Green Knowe books? But I don't think that's right either. Ack! I hope somebody answers so I don't go crazy! :)

You might want to see if the mystery has already been solved on loganberry's book stumper.

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/solved.html

If not and it is really driving you crazy, you can pay $2 to ask the book stumper over there...which can be used towards the purchase cost of the eventually solved stumper.

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/stump-form.html

I was JUST thinking about this book the other day when someone else asked about the book about the witches! I couldn't remember enough details to place it, but I do remember the kids being forced to sleep under newspapers in the winter cold, and there being a fire at the end. I LOVED that book! OK, now I have one of my own to ask...