Menu

Has anybody just pulled together there own stuff?

Luanne

I am specifically talking for science, history, and literature. I feel a need to follow some already existing list for these topics, but haven't found one I really like that I think would work with my student. She is entering high school, but functioning more on a middle school level.

I got tired of BJU science and tried to put a weather unit together like I did in the early years. I have too many books and could never decide which ones to use so science completely fizzled. I need something already planned. We're going to give God's Design... a try next year.

I did for history. I like SotwV1 and Moh V1 and streams of civilization. My son loves history didn't feel Moh would be enough for him being in 6th grade. On one of the MOH post someone posted a link of using MOH & Sotw together so that is my spine and then we read streams of civilization for more info. I went through RR and found other readers that I thaught would go good with his level.

Maybe do unit studies? The outline is there and then you could find books that fit your dd. Konos is good but you can also find unit studies free online.

I am specifically talking for science, history, and literature. I feel a need to follow some already existing list for these topics, but haven't found one I really like that I think would work with my student. She is entering high school, but functioning more on a middle school level.

I always pull together our own history. I do pull together our own science until late middle school and then I use textbooks. (Up to that point, I simply use whole books on various topics.)

MacBeth's website has some ideas for high school science via whole books vs. textbooks. Her website is amazing! http://charlottemason.tripod.com/

For lit, I have done it both ways. You can easily put one together on your own by simply putting together titles that you want and using the internet and/or cliffnotes/sparknotes, etc help you with discussions. Literary Lessons from LOTRs is a great program that works well with kids either middle/high school level.

Hope you find something that works for your family.

I like to pull together my own stuff and make it fit us as closely as possible. This year I am using Ambleside HEO7 (medieval year) as a kind of foundation, but it doesnt look much like Ambleside any more. I just like to pull together books for history and literature that I feel will suit us. Ambleside is free. Lately I have been re-reading TWTM and getting more ideas from that. I am using IEW's medieval writing lessons as a foundation for writing.

For science, my kids do a class, and at home they are reading Tiner books.

I prefer to do my own thing.