Menu

?? for those with graduated dc...My, my it goes so fast....

I can't believe it, but my baby just got promoted to second grade. Weren't we just curled up with him in diapers? My oldest is as tall as I, and even the ones in the middle are big, strong, independent...how did we get here so fast? I'm so happy, I mean, hey, I taught all my dc to read! That is a treasured accomplishment, but I know there is so much more and so little time.

So, I ask those of you w. graduated dc, and I know it's a tough question, but what is the most important thing you've learned after all those years? What is the one thing I should remind myself regularly? I have so little time left with the big ones :tongue_smilie::001_huh:

Looking forward to your Wisdom.

My oldest was homeschooled all the way through and he graduated last May. I guess I would just say to savor each day, enjoy the little things, slow down and don't be too busy. You won't regret not being more busy. KWIM?

Someone once told me to not only enjoy the firsts but also to enjoy the lasts. Sometimes we don't know when or what those lasts are but it has helped me to be more mindful of them.

That same wise woman told me to look for opportunities to say YES instead of NO. My parents were always telling me no so I especially appreciated this advice.

My oldest was homeschooled all the way through and he graduated last May. I guess I would just say to savor each day, enjoy the little things, slow down and don't be too busy. You won't regret not being more busy.

I could have written this! My oldest, also homeschooled all the way through, graduated last May.

My advice? Relax! "Enjoy the ride" and enjoy your kids instead of being so focused on getting everything done and not getting "behind", whatever that means!

Relationship is everything.

Start dual credits in 11th grade, not 12th.

Keep them accountable on a daily basis through 9th and 10th and then ease up a bit in 11th and 12th.

No screaming during driving lessons, from the teacher or student. Also, no white knuckle gripping the dashboard.

Teach them to be self directed.

Steep them in your faith, but give them room to make faith their own. God does not have grandchildren. They must have their own relationship to God and it might look different than yours.

Encourage them to wrestle with the big questions. Don't spoonfeed them your point of view.

Senioritus is a temporary insanity, really, your sweet young person will return shortly after graduation.

Don't ever let that bedroom get too far out of control because then you will be dealing with someone as tall or taller than you and they might not be too easily led to getting their room under control. Stay on top of that one.

Start dual credits in 11th grade, not 12th.

Keep them accountable on a daily basis through 9th and 10th and then ease up a bit in 11th and 12th.

No screaming during driving lessons, from the teacher or student. Also, no white knuckle gripping the dashboard.

Teach them to be self directed.

Steep them in your faith, but give them room to make faith their own. God does not have grandchildren. They must have their own relationship to God and it might look different than yours.

Encourage them to wrestle with the big questions. Don't spoonfeed them your point of view.

Senioritus is a temporary insanity, really, your sweet young person will return shortly after graduation.

Don't ever let that bedroom get too far out of control because then you will be dealing with someone as tall or taller than you and they might not be too easily led to getting their room under control. Stay on top of that one.

:iagree:

I'm hoping senioritis is a temp thing...my youngest just graduated and I'm not seeing a lessening of symptoms. :D

Let them have the experience of failing. Going splat against the wall of consequences is an excellent life lesson.

By 16 they need to be in dual credit or more outside classes. Learning accountability and how to please other taskmasters.

Challenge them to reach high, do hard things, dream, and CARE. Do not be afraid to be a very demanding teacher.

Encourage passions....art, music, science, drama, sports....

Hug them every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

I'm hoping senioritis is a temp thing...my youngest just graduated and I'm not seeing a lessening of symptoms. :D

It probably helps that my daughter got up the morning after graduation and was on the road at 5am to go to a Boy Scout Camp in Arkansas where she is managing the trading post. She simply had to snap out of senioritus as I doubt they put up with it among their camp staff.

I

So, I ask those of you w. graduated dc, and I know it's a tough question, but what is the most important thing you've learned after all those years? What is the one thing I should remind myself regularly? I have so little time left

The bolded part right there is the most important. Enjoy your babies, let your kids be kids. It really does go by in a blink.

Kelly- you rock! In agreement with all that you typed.

Graduated the 2nd 2 weeks ago. There is so much more than one thing :001_smile:...

Let them dream big, attempt the impossible (cause it can really happen). Let go of your own expectations and expect the wonderful cause we usually grew up in a box and there is So.Much.More.

Mentor, don't direct once they hit high school.

Share your faith. Be transparent. Answer tough questions. Sheild them from evil and bad stuff.

Ditch the T.V. and don't let electronics rule your house -then relationships truly can be a priority.

Read aloud- even when they get big. It makes answering and talking about tough stuff so much easier.

Expect a lot from them- scholastically, mentally, emotionally, physically.

Let them expect a lot from you. Let them challenge you and hold you accountable. Build mutuality into your relationships.

Make trust and truth a priority in your home- no "little white lies" about anything- ever. If you can't be honest about something tell them there are reasons why you can't talk about it now.

Love your spouse well. Your kids will appreciate that more than you know.

Make respect a priority in your home.

Academics rock. Character, discipline and divinity can be reached through them. Study hard. Instill the joy and love of learning.

Love your kids with intense passion. Take pictures of them, scrapbook, share family stories, create memories- no matter how much money you have, or don't have, it can be done and your kids will take it to heart that it's been a priority.

Dang it! Too late on that one!! I sent my oldest an e-mail that read "For the love of G-d, clean your room!" He was amused and at least started excavating the debris on the floor.

I'm graduating the oldest next week and only have 3 more years with my youngest. I have spent this year relishing the family times and fondly remembering all the read alouds and other things we've done together over the years. My boys are savoring our uniqueness as a family, too -- we are all keenly aware of the changes coming in the next year.

So I'm in agreement with the other ladies:

Enjoy your kids.

If homeschooling gets to be contentious, take a day off and do something fun together.

Read together.

Play games.

Have some popcorn and watch a movie.

Go to the zoo, even with teen agers.

Remember that they have a lifetime ahead of them for learning, but your time as a family unit is finite.

The early years and the high school years more than make up for the rough times of the middle school years...

So, I ask those of you w. graduated dc, and I know it's a tough question, but what is the most important thing you've learned after all those years? What is the one thing I should remind myself regularly? I have so little time left with the big ones :tongue_smilie::001_huh:

Looking forward to your Wisdom.

Hey Tina! Been a long time since we have chatted! I don't know if you know that Tim II is off to Iraq. My advice is to not sweat the small stuff. Do you remember the tears I cried over how frustrated he made me when he was in 8th grade? I stressed over so many things. Did I make the right math choice? Why is he overweight - how can I get him more active? Remember the basketball league? When it came down to it, he made his decision to lose weight, study for his ASVAB, stand firm to get the job and bonus he wanted and joined the Army. He was promoted to Private First Class on Monday. I worried and worried and worried about this kid. Now, I know that I didn't have to worry so much. He turned out okay. I didn't warp him or ruin him. I also look at Sebastian and realize he will be grown all too quickly. When he is making me nuts from saying "MOM" 3000 times a day, I remind myself of the extreme joy I get when Tim II calls at most once a month. I miss hearing his voice so much! Just enjoy them. I think you knew all that already though.

It probably helps that my daughter got up the morning after graduation and was on the road at 5am to go to a Boy Scout Camp in Arkansas where she is managing the trading post. She simply had to snap out of senioritus as I doubt they put up with it among their camp staff.

Good graduation timing on your part. ;)

Mine gets on a plane in a week and a half for a missionary internship overseas. That should provide a good antidote for the senioritis....

That's really all these seniors need...adventure and responsibility and challenge...and some time away from Mom and Dad :D. Or vice versa.

Thank you all so much. I have put all this in my journal so I'll read it and remember. I am encouraged by every word; except that it may be too late for that room over here too! I won't give up, though....their wives have to thank me later for making them clean up after themselves:blink: I'm preparing for next year and it is so nice to remember the best reason we home school, or better yet, the greatest opportunity we have as home schooling families....love one another.

Thank you, thank you.

:grouphug:

That's really all these seniors need...adventure and responsibility and challenge...and some time away from Mom and Dad :D. Or vice versa.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I am thinking that doing something crazy and different that last summer before college is very wise. Crazy and different can mean anything, for my indoorsy daughter it means living in a tent; complete with a marauding toothpaste loving raccoon making nightly visits!!!