Menu

Singapore Math US vs SE

fenni

If you have made a decision to switch or not to switch to the standards edition of Singapore, could you please share with me how you came to your decision? I have read some about the similarities and differences between the US and SE but I am still not sure which way to go. My son has only completed 1A and 1B (US) so we're not incredibly far into the series. I have another son I will be starting on Singapore soon...and 3 more children to follow.

Thanks for any thoughts! or even links to previous threads.

I have read other threads in this forum and it looks like Standards has a little more information and has rearranged for a better flow. I just ordered the books and my dd(7) will begin 1B this summer and move into 2A and 2B this comming school year. We haven't used Singapore before, so I can't answer your question about "switching".

We switched to SE for the following reasons:

1. DS requested a more colorful book-SE is color all the way through.

2. We live in CA so it's easier for us to keep up with our state testing.

3. It's the edition that our local homeschool bookstore sells.

4. And in retrospect...it's good to know that the SE HIG's are/will be

better than the US.

Edited by LunaLee

:lurk5:

We have been using the US edition so far, and I need to decide what to do for the fall, when dd will begin 3A. I have no complaints about the US edition, but I am wondering if the standards edition will lead right into the new middle school books that are in the works.

The biggest factors for me for the Standards Edition are:

1) Follows the PS school sequence (at least in California).

2) Adds back in a host of elements not included in the US Edition (data analysis and probability, plane and solid figures, negative numbers, and coordinate graphing.)

3) The Home Instructors Guides (HIGs) have been re-written with substantial input and feed-back of home educators taken into account. Singapore Maths strength is teaching "conceptual math". It's nice for a parent/teacher to be "clued into" the method in an easily assimilated way. And the games, tips, and other supplemental ideas are quite good (based on the HIG from 1A/1B). To me, this might be the most compelling reason.

Bill

:.. but I am wondering if the standards edition will lead right into the new middle school books that are in the works.

Yes that's a good point, I'd completely forgot about that. Well, see there's another reason. Also, I'm assuming there will be a better transition from the primary grade books to the middle grade books. I was getting a little worried about what I'd heard about the jump from 6B to NEM.

2) Adds back in a host of elements not included in the US Edition (data analysis and probability, plane and solid figures, negative numbers, and coordinate graphing.)

That was my main reason. My children will complete through 2B in the US ed. and then switch to Standards Edition 3A.

We just finished the US edition of 1A and 1B this year. I read all the info I could on the Singapore site and then made the decision to switch to the Standards edition. I even gave my son the 1B Standards test (using the placement tests online) instead of the US test. He completely missed the estimation problem since it wasn't in the US edition.

I went with Standards because it still has all the US material - and more.

I'm still using Challenging Word Problems (bought all the books so I'll have them). We're also using the Intensive Practice and iExcel books (show problem solving approaches and really helped me with the model drawing).

A difference I notice in the textbook is the amount of review. I felt there wasn't nearly enough practice in 1A and 1B and supplemented regularly with additional workbooks for drill. I don't think I'll need to do that as much with the standards edition. The gap in Intensive Practice doesn't seem that jarring (IP is only for the US edition). I don't think it'll take much effort at all to use it effectively with the standards edition.

I figure you can't go wrong with adding in more information as long as you're not losing any topics, and that really solidified my decision to make the switch to the standards edition. I'm pleased so far! :001_smile: