Menu

Tell me about K12's Music

I checked it out after reading your post because I'm always looking for music curricula. I'm really not a music person, so I need a program.

It looked great. It looked like it included orchestra, classical music, and intro to reading music. However, do you really have to pay a monthly fee in addtion to the materials?!

Any other great music programs out there?

I checked it out after reading your post because I'm always looking for music curricula. I'm really not a music person, so I need a program.

It looked great. It looked like it included orchestra, classical music, and intro to reading music. However, do you really have to pay a monthly fee in addtion to the materials?!

I don't think so... I might call K12 b/c I have heard of people doing K12 without being enrolled, but the website makes it seem like it is not possible.:confused:

Someone recommended Calvert. I didn't think that you could buy just one class from them.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I don't think so... I might call K12 b/c I have heard of people doing K12 without being enrolled, but the website makes it seem like it is not possible.:confused:

Someone recommended Calvert. I didn't think that you could buy just one class from them.

Post if you find out more! :)

You can buy Calvert's Discoveries in Music separately, and actually all their "enrichments" are separate from the standard curriculum. You just can't order things like language arts, science or social studies separately (although they do have separate specific state history courses, and world history that are stand-alones).

It's a video course that introduces basic music theory, the instruments and styles of music (classical, jazz, etc). It's good for lower elementary, I'd say up to about 2nd or 3rd grade.

Yes, you would have to pay the monthly fee for the Online School for the K-5 music. The actual lessons are online. I suppose you could use the materials without the lesson plans, but you would be missing a lot.

I used K12's Music this year and my sister used their 1st grade. Let's just say this was the least favorite subject we used from K12.

The music is boring and the CD is boring and annoying. The lady that sings the songs has only one tone. There is no high or low, its very hard to distinguish which is which. There isn't any background music to any of the songs except just a couple that had a guitar accompaniment.The songs repeat themselves over and over and over and over. When I would tell my daughter it was time for music she began to run the other way and my other daughters would say , please mom, don't.

I didn't use the video that comes with it after my sister gave it a try( she has one in K and 1st). It is very babyish, or like some would say Romper Roomish.

I asked my sister about the 1st and she said it is just as annoying as the K.

I do like K12 a lot for their other subjects but I don't like their Music. They really need to revamp it big time.

I found that you really can't get a good idea of the music program without the materials.

We borrowed the video from a friend for the 3rd grade level and my 8 year old was absolutely appalled at the "baby music video". It really did remind me of Romper Room. This was for learning rhythm, singing, etc, but can't speak to their music appreciation.