Menu

I planned our course of study through graduations - can you take a look?

Good to have a plan, but be prepared to change things. One of the beauties of homeschooling is the opportunity to adapt. Your CC may have an unpredicted offering in an area that excites one of your kids (Chinese, Anthropology, Music Appreciation). Be forewarned that many colleges are raising the bar on AP scores and eliminating CLEP credits. The best laid plans may not be the best in the long run. Rosetta Stone,for example, may not prove to be equivalent Spanish I & II at CC as your list suggests.

It is fun, however, to try outline the big picture. Don't forget to include The Teaching Company in your plans. Many of us have supplemented our high school work or even built a class around a TC lecture series.

Jane

Good to have a plan, but be prepared to change things. One of the beauties of homeschooling is the opportunity to adapt. Your CC may have an unpredicted offering in an area that excites one of your kids (Chinese, Anthropology, Music Appreciation). Be forewarned that many colleges are raising the bar on AP scores and eliminating CLEP credits. The best laid plans may not be the best in the long run. Rosetta Stone,for example, may not prove to be equivalent Spanish I & II at CC as your list suggests.

It is fun, however, to try outline the big picture. Don't forget to include The Teaching Company in your plans. Many of us have supplemented our high school work or even built a class around a TC lecture series.

Jane

Thanks for looking and the input! I'm using Rosetta Stone in 9th and 10th grades only to prepare them for Comm. College Spanish 1&2 in 11th and 3&4 in 12th. I don't know any other conversational spanish program that will prepare them, but it's all subject to change of course :).

Teaching Company courses do look great! I'm sure also that they will take electives at the community college as they develope their own interests more. They are both interested in medical fields.

Planning this helped me think through the whole great books/history rhetoric stage. I've been going back and forth if I want to do things the WTM way or a rigorous traditional way, with WTM methods incorporated. I thought typing it out (w/ our hoped for state university's admissions dep't. homeschool guidelines by my side) would help us!

That ninth grade looks very demanding to me. Doing so much social science at once along seems too much. Your children are quite a ways away from high school. Their interests may change, circumstances may change, etc. The plan looks well thought out with the exception of ninth grade but please keep in mind children's preferences and not overworking them.

Thanks for looking and the input! I'm using Rosetta Stone in 9th and 10th grades only to prepare them for Comm. College Spanish 1&2 in 11th and 3&4 in 12th. I don't know any other conversational spanish program that will prepare them, but it's all subject to change of course :).

I used Rosetta Stone, and the same way, in 9th and 10th grades for my son. I know it isn't the equivalent to Spanish 1 and 2 at school, but it is accepted as that for their transcript. But it preps them for the college courses. They have to place with a placement test anyway, and unless they are very good at the foreign language, they will need to start at beginning anyway.