Menu

Mac Homeschool Tracking Software

Mama Lynx

I keep fiddling around with various things online, and none of them *seem* to do what I want. So I want to ask - do any of you know of something available online or for the Mac that does THIS:

1) I want to create assignments that are due "by the end of the week." In other words, I want the students to be able to see them at the beginning of the week, and complete them whenever they see fit. I do not want assignments tied to a single day, and/or a single time. I need students to be able to see an entire week's assignments.

2) I want students to be able to log in to check off assignments they've done.

What does this?

I can relate....

Someones DH was supposed to be writing something, but i haven't heard more about it.

I just sent it to a geek friend of mine.

I'd like the option of dated or not....

(if you look down under this post you can see the link to the online one that some people were trying)

I use a mac too and wanted this same thing. I used Edu-Track with my pc and liked it. I looked all over for a good Mac program and none of them were as good as Edu-track.

What I ended up doing was buying Parallels for the Mac and now I can run pc programs on my Mac. Parallels cost $79. It works great. I weighed the expense of purchasing mac software all separate or the one time cost of Parallels that will let me run all my favorite pc programs on the Mac in a Windows environment. It was a good deal because I have some favorite graphics programs that I had for the pc and I can manipulate them in Parallels and then export it over to the mac environment. It is like having two computers in one now.

I've been looking at a couple of online planners that might work:

http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/HomeSchool/displayLogin.do

http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/cm-organizer/

I really like the Charlotte Mason one because a lot of books we use are already keyed in-all you have to do is hit a button and it schedules for you. Downside: can't set an ending date to the school year, so you have to figure out how much to do each day. Also, you can only see a day at a time and you can only schedule by chapters or units, not pages. Both will allow you or the kids to go in and check off what you do each day.

1) I want to create assignments that are due "by the end of the week." In other words, I want the students to be able to see them at the beginning of the week, and complete them whenever they see fit. I do not want assignments tied to a single day, and/or a single time. I need students to be able to see an entire week's assignments.

The CM-based organizer at http://simplycharlottemason.com/ will allow you to mark that an assignment has been worked on one day, or multiple days, then completed another. But I don't think there's any way to do "due dates" with it.

I use MyHomeschoolPlan, and though it does require you to tie assignments to specific days, you might be able to make it work for you anyway. Have you fiddled with that one? The schedule page has the assignments for the entire week, listed by day (but I'm trying to say that the entire week's schedule is viewable on ONE page). So what you could do, maybe, is simply put those things that you want them to have done by the end of the week on Friday's schedule as "must be complete" and on other days you could put reminders to work on those things?

2) I want students to be able to log in to check off assignments they've done.

Hmm, I think it can do this but I'm not sure. I only have one student, and I always log into the page and check off assigments myself because I don't think she's ready to be responsible for her schedule yet. But I'll go take a look and see for sure if it can do this.

There were a couple of DHs working on one. Mine was one. I've given up hope :)

LOL, i can relate....

With all these programmers writing for the iPhone, there has to be SOMEONE out there willing to do something for us Mac folks. Right???

I keep looking at iPhone apps to see what there is - and who has client software or a way to get it to iCal.

I have not used any of these, but I have looked at apples sight and found a few free downloads of the samples that may be something you are looking for.

Here are a few...or you can look yourself under downloads and then under home and leaning category.

1. Task List 5.2

About Task List

An application designed for students who use their laptops at school. It enables assignments to be tracked and managed, as well as grades, goals, and notes. Task List has the ability to synchronize preferences and assignments between computers using .mac , enabling students to sync their homework files between a desktop and laptop or other computer.

It also includes a Dashboard widget for quickly checking what you need to do, and a lite version that resides in the menu bar.

What’s New in this Version

- Task List can now be secured with a password

- Added a school overview for at-a-glance information

- Reference information can now be customized

- Added option to only sync unchecked tasks with the widget

- Tasks exported to iCal now include any comments

- Added an option to not add an alarm when exporting tasks to iCal

- Averages, graphs, steps, etc. are now in a user-adjustable split view

2. Lesson Planner Advanced 5.2

About Lesson Planner Advanced

Although Lesson Planner Advanced is very easy to use, it certainly doesn’t lack features. There’s an abundance of power and long list of features under the bonnet. Lesson Planner Advanced is available in stand alone or networked versions.

- Add unlimited subjects and lessons.

- Includes month, week and day planner.

- Add schemes of work and attach lesson plans.

- Add and use U.K. programmes of study or U.S. state standards.

- Integrated multiple timetable module with click n tick lesson plan creation.

- Pop-up calendar with customisable colour scheme.

- Easily select and find plans, appointments, etc., directly from the planner.

- Add new lesson plans directly from planner and timetable.

- Easily search and display lesson plans.

- Many more features.

What’s New in this Version

- Add schemes of work and attach lesson plans.

- Add and use U.K. programmes of study or U.S. state standards.

3. I can't find the one I started to like which worked with ical...maybe you will see it..no more time now!

Blessings.

Angie (home4fun)

LOL, i can relate....

With all these programmers writing for the iPhone, there has to be SOMEONE out there willing to do something for us Mac folks. Right???

I keep looking at iPhone apps to see what there is - and who has client software or a way to get it to iCal.

Don't get met started. DH is working on an iPhone game. A GAME. I need a homeschooling app!!!

Funny, I just told my DH this morning that I think I am going to have him rewrite what I use for next year. Mine is in Filemaker. I was thinking of making it more like http://www.myhomeschoolplan.com/ only it will be on my local computer.

We're leaving on vacation this weekend and won't be back for a couple of weeks, but I will have something later this summer. Anyone who uses Filemaker and is interested can let me know.

Debbie

DH did this for a different reason, but the bonus was that I can use Homeschool Tracker. It will do the things you want. Switching back and forth between Parallels and the Mac is no problem.

My poor machine is old and slow, and I don't know that it would be worth it.

I could do it on the kids' computer, although that brings its own sets of pains ;-)