Menu

Apologia Zoology with 6th grader

I am starting her out in this as she really wanted to do it. Anyhow, should I invest in the lapbook CD's or just do the notebooking?

She is wanting to do 1 chapter a week for the summer, and I am okay with that. When we got the book in the other day she sat down and read 3 chapters right away. I actually had to put the book away to keep her out of it. I know, that is just NOT RIGHT but I want her to really enjoy it the first time around and really sink her teeth in. If she reads it now, it will bore her to go through it again. Maybe she'll get through it even quicker. I don't know.

I am using the lapbook with two of mine. They have enjoyed doing lapbooks in the past and they are more engaging than the notebooking pages. We did those for one of the books and they lacked something. The lapbooks are something they are both looking forward to. :D

I am using the lapbook with two of mine. They have enjoyed doing lapbooks in the past and they are more engaging than the notebooking pages. We did those for one of the books and they lacked something. The lapbooks are something they are both looking forward to. :D

So, you prefer the lapbooks over notebooking? I didn't know if it was something you do both or just choose one. :D

When we got the book in the other day she sat down and read 3 chapters right away. I actually had to put the book away to keep her out of it. I know, that is just NOT RIGHT but I want her to really enjoy it the first time around and really sink her teeth in. If she reads it now, it will bore her to go through it again. Maybe she'll get through it even quicker. I don't know.

:lol: The same thing happened recently with my son, only it was the general science book. I never thought I'd have to say "No, you cannot read your SCIENCE book right now."

:lol: The same thing happened recently with my son, only it was the general science book. I never thought I'd have to say "No, you cannot read your SCIENCE book right now."

That is actually what got my DH 100% on board with homeschooling. He was floored that I had to stop her, and thought it funny that she *never* treated her school books like that. Not even her free reading books.

I am starting her out in this as she really wanted to do it. Anyhow, should I invest in the lapbook CD's or just do the notebooking?

She is wanting to do 1 chapter a week for the summer, and I am okay with that. When we got the book in the other day she sat down and read 3 chapters right away. I actually had to put the book away to keep her out of it. I know, that is just NOT RIGHT but I want her to really enjoy it the first time around and really sink her teeth in. If she reads it now, it will bore her to go through it again. Maybe she'll get through it even quicker. I don't know.

Honestly, I thought the lapbooks stunk!!!

I thought my artsy dd would love these and i was excited to finally break down and purchase a lapbook. Usually, I just put together my own. Well, I think the oceanography one was so poorly done, my dd begged to go back and just use her notebook.

The free notebook from the Apologia site plus odds and ends picked up on Enchanted learning or google images made a beautiful notebook. She writes out her narrations and puts them in the book and whoala...a beautiful book.

I would save your money or use it for some cool art supplies to dress up her notebook.

~~Faithe (who may be in the minority here...but we really thought this particular lapbook was a big ol' waste o' time.)

Faithe

There are two companies that make Apologia lapbooking products, and there's a lot of difference between their products.

Honestly, I thought the lapbooks stunk!!!

...Well, I think the oceanography one was so poorly done, my dd begged to go back and just use her notebook...

Mommyfaithe, did you use Knowledge Box Central or Live & Learn Press?

Most people who have tried L&LP love the mini-books, if they like lapbooking. From what I've read at boards and from the samples I've seen at the publisher websites, the KBC ones are inferior to the L&LP ones. You also get a lot more for the money with L&LP. Their Zoo 3 lapbook has over 200 mini-books. There are so many mini-books in their Apologia lapbooks that L&LP recommends attaching the mini-books to card stock and putting them in a binder. If you don't like that option and prefer folders, you can make a lapbook per chapter.

...should I invest in the lapbook CD's or just do the notebooking?

I would purchase an Ebook download. There's no shipping to pay.

If your dd likes cutting, folding, and taping/gluing, and if she doesn't like to write a lot, then she may prefer lapbooking. Otherwise, she'd probably prefer notebooking (I assume that you know you can print free notebooking pages for the book). If you decide to do lapbooking, purchase the L&LP set. Their mini-books are in color, so it can get expensive printing them, but you can always print them in black-and-white if you need to.

I am starting her out in this as she really wanted to do it. ...

You didn't say which Zoology book you're using. There are free lapbooking materials for some of Zoology 1: Flying Creatures. There are mini-books for the first chapter, so you could try them just to see if your dd likes lapbooking before purchasing a lapbook. There are also free mini-books for the first six chapters of Zoo 2 at the Notebooking2Learn Yahoo group, but there seems to be a problem with some of the files. I used to be able to access them with no problem, and it may just be a problem on my end. Anyway, the mini-books there are very well done and colorful.

BTW, here's a sample of the KBC Zoo 1 lapbook and here's a sample of the L&LP lapbook so you can compare the two. Here's the KBC Zoo 3 lapbook and here's the L&LP lapbook.

Mommyfaithe, did you use Knowledge Box Central or Live & Learn Press?

We tried to use the Knowlege box Central...and yes...It was definitely an inferior product. I could kick myself for spending $20 on something I can't resell...or even use for that matter. It was frustrating.

Grrrrrr

Faithe

We did the Knowledge Box lapbook for Zoology 1 this past year and the kids really enjoyed it. I was doing it with two 5th graders, a 6th grader and a 7th grader. I just went to the NC Convention and spent A LOT of time looking at the Live and Learn books. Well, actually, they didn't have a sample of the Zoology 3 book and I thought was extremely poor planning for selling at the convention. They also did not have COMPLETE samples. Just a little bit. I can view that on the website. I really wanted to see the whole thing. Anyway, I am getting off track. Honestly, I think my kids really liked the file folder part of it. They liked putting all 3 file folders together and creating something different from a binder. We are skipping Zoology 2 right now because we had studied marine creatures previously. We will be doing Astronomy and Zoology 3 this year with the Knowledge Box lapbooks. Oh and one more thing to give an idea of how much these kids liked this... my niece and nephew have special foot lockers that their parents put mememtos away in. They told me that they didn't want their lapbooks to be stored with their traditional school stuff. They asked me to ask their dad to put them away into their foot lockers. I was so pleased that they enjoyed it that much!

My kids loved the free notebooking pages from Apologia. The reason why was because I printed them out and binded them with the comb binder. But both kids (ages 9 & 11 here) thought lapbooking was "busy work" and honestly would complain about the cutting and pasting and they weren't retaining nearly as much. This includes my daughter who will spend hours just cutting up colored paper with the cool edged scissors for no reason!

We tried the lapbooks. I've found that, for me, if we're going to make lapbooks I prefer to just make my own as we go along, section by section. It's also sometimes difficult to keep up with the lapbook pieces as you go along (provided you're waiting until you have at least completed a "section" before gluing it to the lapbook). I hate using up all that printer ink too, roflol. (We just use markers) My girls prefer "their own" lapbooks too, so it works out.

But, for our Apologia Science & SOTW History, we do "3-D Notebooks". There are some lapbooking elements to our notebook, but they're all pasted onto cardstock and put into the notebook instead of a foldout lapbook. For me, it gives us a ton more freedom as to what we find important enough. I can add tons of pictures, drawings, etc. If needed, I use a clear page protector to hold loose odds-and-ends. And I just find the storage easier for notebooks.

We do still use lapbooks for smaller things. Like a lapbook about desert animals, or a certain war... specific things... unit study kinds of things.

hths! :)