Menu

Italic handwriting

J'etudie

I chose Italic handwriting largely because of the similarity between the print and cursive letters. Now I'm thinking, "Why not just start with cursive?" As far as letter formation goes, is there any reason this is a bad idea?

TIA

I'm using Getty-Dubay Italic with my kids. I don't see any reason not to do cursive first, but IMO, the print and cursive are so similar that I'm not worried about the transition. I am planning on starting my 5yo at the beginning with book A (basic). That way, he'll get the advantage of the bigger line spacing and letters that are a little simpler to learn. His fine motor skills just aren't that great, so I want to make it as easy as possible to get him started writing.

If you decide to start with cursive, I'd be sure to get Kindergarten paper to practice on and I'd probably spend some time just doing the basic strokes before forming the actual letters.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I have Penny Gardner's book for letter formation and StartWrite to make copywork so I figure I can make it the right size for him. I have heard of Cursive First and when I saw just how similar the Italics print and cursive were, I started thinking, "Why bother with print?"

Thanks for the input!

In Poland, where I come from, kids were learning cursive from the first grade, without any instruction on printed letters. I don't know why here (USA) they are starting so late...

With Italic handwriting you have printed section on the beginning of each book anyway, so it gets covered yearly.

Kids need more motor control for the bigger spaced lines, so I woudln't worry about it. The true "Cursive First" program uses smaller lines b/c it's easier for young kids to control.

We're doing Italics A for Kindergarten then moving to cursive shortly after...either with italics or another...not sure yet.

Kids need more motor control for the bigger spaced lines, so I woudln't worry about it. The true "Cursive First" program uses smaller lines b/c it's easier for young kids to control.

I didn't know that about the Cursive First program. It makes sense, though. I've realized I have great difficulty trying to write on Kindergarten or 1st grade lined paper because it's just too big.