Menu

Feeling a bit guilty here

Last night I had it with the lack of space in the bookshelves and the books that get misplaced. I started pulling books and curriculum off the shelves to get rid of since a charity is coming by this morning. I have duplicate textbooks (fortunately Rod and Staff, so not too expensive) curriculum never used, duplicate read alouds. Dh, who never complains about school expenses, commented "how much of this stuff have we actually used?"

Good question.

To top is off, we are about to start Dave Ramsey, at my request. This was before all the books came tumbling off of the shelves. I am just going through this phase of needing to organize and get my ducks in a row.

Oh well, once I get my 50 posts, I start listing on the For Sale board. Put it towards the debt snowball, which, in our case fortunately, if more of a snowflake.

Yes, selling good used curriculum can certainly help with the snowball debt. However, if you have any curriculum that does not sell, consider donating it to the Book Samaritan which helps out families who can't afford curriculum. I've had trouble getting the link to work but I've learned that the site is having issues and that they aren't out of business. So keep trying if it interests you.

We donate a lot. We figure it is better to give to someone who needs it and can't afford it. There are several organizations here that help cash strapped homeschoolers. Another place that didn't occur to me until recently was a domestic violence shelter. I have a friend who is a counselor at one and she says they do get homeschoolers who have to leave home without their materials. Not a lot, but enough to need some materials for them to fill the gap.

I have felt the same way before. I just sell what I can and move on from that point. We learn from our mistakes and our less than perfect choices, but I see no benefit in dwelling on it. :)

I agree that a local homeschool sale might be good -- I had a pretty profitable one. Craigslist may work as well, and www.paperbackswap.com is also a good thing.

Oops -- I just saw where you'd rather donate it. Sorry, I was assuming you were wanting that money to go toward your debt.

A little encouragement....I had the "too many books" meltdown last year. I ended up culling about 200 books and I had a book sale at my house. Homeschool friends came by and I made $400!!!

That is a great idea! My problem is I just can't part with books easily.:D