Menu

Have any of you built a course around a Teaching Company DVD?

I've built both semester and full year courses around TTC dvds. I'll copy and paste my response to a similar question about TTC courses below that will explain how I did this. I'll also include a link to the full thread if you'd like to read all the responses.

You mentioned a phyics program. I've never built a course around one of TTC's math or science programs. I'd probably do that differently than how I did for history and social science courses. Maybe I'd find a curriculum I wanted to use first (i.e. Apologia, Conceptual Physics) and use TTC dvds to supplement the curriculum by plugging in the those lectures where they fit best with the topics in the curriculum.

Here's my previous response to similar question and the link to whole thread. Good luck with your courses!:001_smile:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95183

"We've used six Teaching Company Programs in high school. I used History of the United States as a supplement to a text book, and ds viewed Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoningjust for fun.

I built semester or full year courses around the other four programs we used (Renaissance, the Reformation, and the Rise of Nations ; The African Experience: From “Lucy†to Mandela; Power Over People: Classical and Modern Political Theory; Art Across the Ages). This method proved the most meaningful for our dc. First, the student chose a program that they wanted a course built around. Then I bought the program and used the Course Guidebook to help me develop a program. Each program guidebook has a list provided by the professor for "essential reading" and "supplemental reading." Each program I used had the readings paired with the lectures. Then it was just a matter of reviewing materials online, choosing which materials to use, and scheduling the readings and lectures at the pace needed for the semester or full year course. There was way more reading than I felt humanly possible listed for each program - lots of really good options.

I would usually have our dc read the material corresponding to lectures first and then listen to the lecture. After the lecture, they would complete the corresponding questions in the Course Guidebook for that lecture. There are usually two questions per lecture (some courses had more). The questions are more of the thought provoking type. Dc would also have to write several essays throughtout the course. For the art course, we did several field trips to the National Gallery of Art since we live near Washington DC. No tests on any of the programs since there wasn't enough time for me to read the materials, watch the lectures, and write one. If I were to build a new course, I'd entertain the idea of having my student write a meaningful and thought provoking test (with an answer key) as a project, and the test would have to include essay questions.

Dc learned a lot from our built courses. They did a ton of reading and writing. TTC lectures are great, and I loved that they provided a reading list. To build a course, I think you'd really need to purchase TTC program instead of checking it out from the library since you'll be using it for so long.

Personally, I think TTC programs are great any way you use them."

Hi Laurie,

We built my son's ancient history/literature course around the TC course, "Great Battles of the Ancient World". As best I could, I aligned the course outline with Spielvogel and books from the WTM reading list. Herodotus and Thucydides were easy to fit in. We added selections from Plutarch, Greek drama, etc. at what seemed to be appropriate points. Really--this just gelled.

Does TTC recommend a certain book or books for the physics and game theory courses? I am curious about the latter which I think my son and husband would like.

Here is a nice little game theory book published by the Mathematical Association of America, something that my son read in 9th grade. It only requires algebra.

I've just purchased two Teaching Company DVD sets. Have any of you ever built a course around a Teaching Company product? How did you do it?

I purchased one on the concepts of physics and another on game theory (ie human decision making).

We're using Dr. Andrew Fix's "The Renaissance, the Reformation and the Rise of Nations" as the backbone of our history course this year. Will include some supplementary reading and some papers to round it out.

In the past, we've done the same with "The English Novel".

For chemistry a couple of years ago, we combined Apologia with Frank Cardulla's Teaching Co. chemistry course.

Here's a suggestion for a conceptual physics book that might go along with your physics course:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Physics-Self-Teaching-Guide-Guides/dp/0471134473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243339990&sr=1-1

I just got this book and from now on was thinking I'll have my kids work through it before jumping into the Bob Jones course.

If you get a chance at some point, could you please post a review of the Teaching Co. physics program you're using? A couple of my kids are visual learners, so I plan on using Frank Cardulla again with them for chemistry, and maybe Teaching Co. for physics, also.

I used the Physics in Your Life DVD's for a conceptual physics course for my eldest dd and will repeat it next year for my youngest. Prof. Wolfson has great demos. The outline lists readings in Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, dh created problem sets and labs using the associated lab manual. It worked well.

This year, we've been doing a Geology course, The Nature of Earth. I obtained a copy of Prof Renton's text, Planet Earth and used that for readings and study questions. We use a Roadside Geology book to find field trips.

Both courses have worked well. We've all learned a lot. I agree about having to own the DVD's when using them for a course.

HTH

Moira

Hi Laurie,

We built my son's ancient history/literature course around the TC course, "Great Battles of the Ancient World". As best I could, I aligned the course outline with Spielvogel and books from the WTM reading list. Herodotus and Thucydides were easy to fit in. We added selections from Plutarch, Greek drama, etc. at what seemed to be appropriate points. Really--this just gelled.

Does TTC recommend a certain book or books for the physics and game theory courses? I am curious about the latter which I think my son and husband would like.

Here is a nice little game theory book published by the Mathematical Association of America, something that my son read in 9th grade. It only requires algebra.

TTC stuff arrived! The two books most often cited for suggested reading are: Dixit and Skeath: Games of Strategy, 2nd ed. Norton (cited 13 times out of 24 lectures) and McCain: Game Theory: A Nontechnical intro (cited 6 times).

TTC stuff arrived! The two books most often cited for suggested reading are: Dixit and Skeath: Games of Strategy, 2nd ed. Norton (cited 13 times out of 24 lectures) and McCain: Game Theory: A Nontechnical intro (cited 6 times).

Looks like the McCain book is out of print but is accessible online here. I'll have my husband take a look at the Dixit and Skeath book sometime.

Have fun with the course!

Jane

Looks like the McCain book is out of print but is accessible online here. I'll have my husband take a look at the Dixit and Skeath book sometime.

Have fun with the course!

Jane

I'd like to know what he thinks about it. I didn't even know there was such a thing as game theory before seeing that course with teaching company, though as a freshman many years ago, I apparently took part in an experiment about it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing 8th grade science this way, and if it's successful, we may build a couple of high school science courses around TC lectures.

For 8th grade we will be using Hazen's "The Joy of Science" lecture, combined with reading "Science Matters" and some of the supplementary reading suggested in the lecture book. We're going for an overview of science.

I have noticed that one of the biology lectures uses Campbell's biology for supplemental reading: since I have been considering that text anyway, we may use it plus the TC lectures and (and some kind of lab) for hs biology.

Also, it seems to me that some of the lectures could easily be used to build a Great Books course.

I did almost all of his history uing teaching company videos, along with supplemental readings and papers or exams I assigned. Originally he was a history major but he shortly changed to a philosophy major. I had him do the History of Philosophy lecture series along with various history series in the given time frames. It turned out that philosophy was his favorite and he even got to hear Dr. Robinson in person one time during college.

I am currently having dd15 do the History of Music series and along with actually listenting to music and performing, I am counting that as Intro to Music and giving it a half credit.