Menu

History/Science for k-1

skaterbabs

We're doing SOTW vol 1 with the kids this (coming) year and just started with DS #1 and DD. DD is NOT enjoying it. She cries everytime I bring it out.:glare:

We'd planned to just read it to her & her brothers while she colors the pictures from the activity book, but at this rate she's not really getting ANYTHING from it that I can tell. She does enjoy having historical (biography-based) picture books read to her, and we've learned about some neat people as a result.

So based on that, which of the following options would you recommend:

1. skip SOTW for this year entirely and just have a nice tall stack of the history books she likes, perhaps giving a year to concentrate on k/1 level US history

or

2. skip the SOTW text and find picture books on the SOTW 1 subjects to read to her instead

or

3. Something else I haven't thought of?

She's reading on such a high level, and will be six in mid-October, so I think I may be expecting first-grade behaviour from a child who is still in many ways a preschooler.

So with that in mind, I guess what I'm asking is, should I be doing K-level history & science with her, rather than 1st grade. (She reads on a mid-3rd grade level and is doing 1st grade math.)

We're doing SOTW vol 1 with the kids this (coming) year and just started with DS #1 and DD. DD is NOT enjoying it. She cries everytime I bring it out.:glare:

We'd planned to just read it to her & her brothers while she colors the pictures from the activity book, but at this rate she's not really getting ANYTHING from it that I can tell. She does enjoy having historical (biography-based) picture books read to her, and we've learned about some neat people as a result.

So based on that, which of the following options would you recommend:

1. skip SOTW for this year entirely and just have a nice tall stack of the history books she likes, perhaps giving a year to concentrate on k/1 level US history

or

2. skip the SOTW text and find picture books on the SOTW 1 subjects to read to her instead

or

3. Something else I haven't thought of?

She's reading on such a high level, and will be six in mid-October, so I think I may be expecting first-grade behaviour from a child who is still in many ways a preschooler.

It's hard sometimes to remember that our kids' emotional maturation (especially at young ages) generally don't/won't match some of their academics. Most of us have fallen into that trap at one point or another, so please don't feel bad.

So with that in mind, I guess what I'm asking is, should I be doing K-level history & science with her, rather than 1st grade. (She reads on a mid-3rd grade level and is doing 1st grade math.)

Meet her where she is. I'd probably just skip SOTW with her right now, especially if she isn't even enjoying coloring. She'll not be behind. Next year you can either do SOTW 2 for 2nd and SOTW 1 (or whatever) w/her or simply fold her into your son's Mediaeval studies.

I follow more of an LCC philosophy and I really like what K'ers do in K for history/science -- basically an easy-peasy geography course and nature studies, respectively. If your dd really likes historical biographies, by all means, let her read (or read aloud to her) those books.

Of course, it may be that, for whatever reason, SOTW simply won't mesh with your daughter. If that's actually the case (and I'd wait until next year to make that determination), then you can decide what would be best for you and dd.

Thanks, everyone. I think we'll just shelve SOTW for her for now. She usually loves anything "workbook-y" and loves to color, so I suspect it's not the AG pages she's objecting to but the actual text. The first chapter isn't very interesting. :leaving:

She may enjoy it more once we start getting to the "meat" - tales from Egypt, Greece, China, Rome etc.

I think I'll just keep an eye out for picture books on SOWT1-related topics, and add them into the rotation with the books we're reading on US history.