Menu

Lightning Lit 7??

Jen+4dc

Is Lightning Lit a complete LA program? Would I need writing or grammar to go with it? My dd12 will be in 7th grade next year and I'm looking for a something to teach literary analysis and writing. I've been looking at IEW. (She has almost no previous writing instruction! She did 1/2 of Writing Strands 3 in 5th and then I've been doing a crash course with WWE over the last month or so but that's it since I pulled her from ps in 5th grade). Would these two programs complement each other or be overkill?

I've also got a ds10 who will be in 5th grade next year. He's a voracious reader and a deep thinker, but he's still a 10 year old boy. Could he tag along with his sister and LL7? Or, would that kill his joy of reading? Lightning Lit looks so good on the website, is there anything like it for 5th grade?

Any input is appreciated!!

I do not consider LL7 a complete LA program. It reviews grammar a bit and has a writing assignment for each of the 8 units, but does not give direct writing instruction. We used it this year along with Analytical Grammar and Write Shop. It was a nice combination and was not overwhelming.

I'll let someone else speak to the 5th grader, as I've got an only.

Jen,

You will need at least a grammar program. Vocabulary is up to you since you could use the vocabulary lists in LL. Some of the things you would cover in LL7 include plot line, outlines, rhyme in poetry, creativity, nonce words, facts vs. opinions, dialogue, brainstorming, note cards, writing paragraphs, sound in poetry, and so much more. You will encounter grammar where appropriate such as when writing dialogue.

My 5th grader's two favorite units are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and the one on sound in poetry where we studied Edgar Allen Poe's The Bells. I have used IEW and LL. I prefer LL. I think the writing instruction in LL produces a cleaner, more natural writing style. But that is just my opinion.

I forgot. Hewitt Homeschool does offer their Best of ...series for 5th and 6th graders. If you are interested I can tell you more about their content. I am using them next year along with the LL we didn't finish this year.

Thanks! I recently bought Easy Grammar, it arrived yesterday so we'll probably start it next week, after I've had a chance to familiarize myself with it. I've also ordered Wordly Wise, we'll see if LL is enough vocab, we can always add WW if needed.

So, would you recommend an additional writing program in addition to LL7? I have no skills and no confidence in my ability to teach writing. Will LL's writing instruction be enough?

My focus the last couple years of hsing has been history (that's my passion so that's what's easy for me). My goal next year is to step it up a bit with LA, which I am not very good at. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read, but we never do more than discuss it.

How can I find out about the "Best of" for 5th and 6th graders? I'd really LOVE to use the same program with both kids, even if I have to use different levels. Then I only have the learning curve of one program (helps when you've got 4 to school!).

Any more thoughts??:bigear:

So, would you recommend an additional writing program in addition to LL7? I have no skills and no confidence in my ability to teach writing. Will LL's writing instruction be enough?

I would recommend a separate writing program especially if you are unsure of your ability to teach. IEW gets great reviews.

I've been happy with Write Shop and can provide a review for you if you wish to consider it.

Jen,

There are many other parents more qualified to answer this question. I can only share my personal experience. I have blown through Writing Strands, Wordsmith, IEW, SL LA, and LL in the last couple of years in search of the "perfect" writing program. There are things I like and dislike about each. Someone will probably comment on just being consistent. Honestly, most of the programs didn't "feel" right for us.

Guess what? It's not the programs, it's me. I have a BS in Journalism :D and the nuns taught my English classes. This should be easy, right? Years of grocery lists and emails for the majority of my writing has left me with sloppy skills and a lack of confidence. There is no answer key for teaching writing.

Whether you need another program to go with LL, will depend on you, your goals, the style of writing you want to achieve with your children, and your confidence level. Sue in St. Pete offers valid points about LL. I do like the fact it doesn't give specific instructions like never use certain words or always be sure to add "ly" words. There is a tendency in this part of the country to have middle schoolers start every piece of writing with a question. Not a bad hook. However, have you seen the kids' reviews on Amazon? Ten reviews starting with questions is a numbing experience.

By the way, reading aloud and narration are a strong foundation for any writing program. You are off to a good start.

To make your head spin, (if my post doesn't) check out http://www.bravewriter.com/program/home-study-courses/the-writers-jungle/ This is for you, not your kids. I currently sleep with The Writer's Jungle under my pillow. My writing curriculum is being sold (except for LL and Best of...) and my dc have no complaints.

Whoooa! sorry, Jen. I knew I shouldn't have had that coffee today:lol:

I can still pm you about the Best of ...series, if your eyes haven't rolled back in yuor head.

By the way, reading aloud and narration are a strong foundation for any writing program. You are off to a good start.

To make your head spin, (if my post doesn't) check out http://www.bravewriter.com/program/home-study-courses/the-writers-jungle/ This is for you, not your kids. I currently sleep with The Writer's Jungle under my pillow. My writing curriculum is being sold (except for LL and Best of...) and my dc have no complaints.

Whoooa! sorry, Jen. I knew I shouldn't have had that coffee today:lol:

I can still pm you about the Best of ...series, if your eyes haven't rolled back in yuor head.

Yes, I'd still love the info on the Best of series!

I've looked at Bravewriter before and it seems to creative for me, I couldn't wrap my head around it. Of course, IEW might be just as much to wrap my tiny brain around......I have a friend who is going to walk me through it this summer so I can see if I want to use it.

But, I'd love any other recommendations!

I would recommend a separate writing program especially if you are unsure of your ability to teach. IEW gets great reviews.

I've been happy with Write Shop and can provide a review for you if you wish to consider it.

I would LOVE a review! Thanks!

The Best of ...series is published by Jamestown Publishing and is carried by Hewitt Homeschooling and Amazon. I had a difficult time researching this, so I ordered the first book: Best Nonfiction ( middle level).

This is the paraphrased version of the unit format and activities:

1. A photgraph or illustration depicitng something connected with the selection
  2. Intro w/ background info about selection and author. Literary concepts and skills are then presented
  3. The selection. A complete work like an essay or an excerpt from a biography or diary.
  4. Comprehension questions for personal literature notebook.
  5. Discussion of literary concepts followed by 3 lessons that each illustrate a technique the author uses to develop concept.
  6. Short-answer exercises to test understanding.
  7. "Each lesson also includes a writing exercise that guides you in creating your own original nonfiction work using the techniques you have just studied."

Hewitt's catalog shows the Introductory Level for Grades 5-6. I believe this program was the inspiration for Lightning Lit but don't quote me on that.

There are 5 books in the series: Nonfiction, Short Stories, Best-Selling Chapters, Poems, and Plays. I have the Middle Level (7-8th grade) books, the Teaching Notes and Answer Keys, and the Junior High Syllabus all from Hewitt. I am using these with my upcoming 6th grader combined with Lightning Lit 7 & 8 for all of middle school. The five books cover a two year curriculum.

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2953

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=3028

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2949

I hope this answers some of your questions. We did some of the Nonfiction book this year before I bought the others. The dss enjoyed them.

I'm going to use Lightning Lit 7 along with IEW (SWI B) next year with my 7th grader. I think they will mesh together nicely; during the weeks that are lighter in literature, we'll watch the IEW lessons and work on IEW heavily, and during heavier lit weeks, we'll do IEW practice assignments. At least that's my plan.

If you look at the sample schedule for LL7, you'll see that some weeks only have reading and answering comp questions. Those are the weeks I'm planning to do "new" concepts and lessons in IEW. Then on the weeks that ds is doing more of the lessons/workbook pages for LL, we will still do IEW, but practicing his skills by doing a writing lesson in geography, for example. (We'll be doing Around the World in 180 Days.)

Wendi

I'm going to use Lightning Lit 7 along with IEW (SWI B) next year with my 7th grader. I think they will mesh together nicely; during the weeks that are lighter in literature, we'll watch the IEW lessons and work on IEW heavily, and during heavier lit weeks, we'll do IEW practice assignments. At least that's my plan.

Wendi,

Have you already made a schedule for this? I'll be using the same two programs with my ds and would love to see a schedule if you have one. :D

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

Wendi,

Have you already made a schedule for this? I'll be using the same two programs with my ds and would love to see a schedule if you have one. :D

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

Not yet. So far, all I've done is look over the schedule for LL7 and the teaching materials for IEW. Want me to send it to you when I'm done?

Wendi

Not yet. So far, all I've done is look over the schedule for LL7 and the teaching materials for IEW. Want me to send it to you when I'm done?

Wendi

If it's not too late to jump on the band wagon and you have a chance, I too would love to see what you've come up with.

We will be using LL7 and IEW SWIB next year so I'm curious to see how you've meshed the two.

Christine from these boards has schedules for LL, among other things, on her blog Core Foundations. They are wonderful, as is she for sharing them. If you like them, you can use them as they are, or if you like you can tweak them to fit your needs.

I used her LL7 and switched it up a bit. Instead of working 5 days/wk and ending at week 21 day 103, we will be working 4 days/week, taking a break weeks 12-21 (right around Thanksgiving and Christmas), and ending at week 35, day 173.

I would! ;) Can we use SWI-B if we've never used SWI-A?

Short answer, yes.

SWI-B is recommended for grades 6-8 or multiple grade levels. The difference in the levels is mainly the speed in which the material is presented. If you started with SWI-B, you would them move on to Student Intensive Continuation Course (SICC) Level B, and then to Student Intensive Continuation Course (SICC) Level C.

HTH

I don't think it's a complete English programme but it is good. I have used it over two years with So You Really Want to Learn English. I did start it early with Calvin and it hasn't killed his love of reading, but I think it would take a conflagration of the world's books to do that.

Laura