Menu

Violin lessons on DVD?

I have four kids taking Suzuki violin lessons and it is truly breaking the bank. I am wondering if anyone has ever used DVD instruction or "virtual lessons" that might be of decent quality? My two youngest (10 year old twins) are finishing Suzuki Book 1, and I would probably switch them over to DVD first to try it out. Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated!

I am afraid to ask their current teacher for a recommendation or advice as I know she will be so sorry to lose us as clients. I also don't know much about music myself and never played an instrument, so have no idea if this is a bad idea or not.

Here is one option I found just googling around: http://www.videoviolinlessons.com/

My dd has taken lessons for 9+ years. She has been fortunate to have had two excellent teachers. My concern would be how would you know if they are playing in tune, if a note is a little sharp or flat? Both of my dd's teacher stressed tone quality. I would think this would be hard to correct in DVD lessons. Just my thoughts.:)

I would not recommend this. I have experienced first hand my dd having to undo poor technique that was taught by an inexperienced teacher when we moved to a new, more experienced teacher. It was very tough on her. Proper technique including tone, bow distribution, posture, etc... are so very, very important for future progress that as a non-musician, there is no way I would rely on a video.

My dd takes weekly lessons and even though I write everything down and take notes, there are so many little details that I might not even think to consider in dd's playing except that her teacher pointed them out. Her teacher can hear the slightest bit of out of tune playing, maybe just a 3rd finger that isn't as tall as it should be or a 4th finger that should be a little further apart. I don't hear those things because my ears are not trained that well. She knows the parts of the song that might be troublesome and has dd work on those prior to learning a more difficult piece. She also demands specific bow distribution, points out dynamic considerations, and individualizes her lessons to dd's playing.

When learning Book 2 and 3, I did videotape her teacher playing and pointing out details she wanted us to consider during weekly practices. I was having difficulty keeping up with everything at once and being able to review the lesson helped. I could also have dd watch her teacher playing to learn the proper bowings.

Do you have any other options? Shorter lessons or combined lessons for your twins? Lessons every other week?

It is expensive. I couldn't imagine having to pay for Suzuki lessons for more than one so I do feel for your situation.

It will not work, I am afraid. You need a teacher for corrections, encouragement and example, if you want improvement in their playing.

:iagree:

Have you asked the teacher about lessons every other week? 2 kids go one week, the other two the next?

Most Suzuki teachers I know won't do that. And it is hard. But that might be a way to make it work -

Says the former music major, who doesn't have enough $$$ on hand to pay for all the music lessons I'd like to give my kids. :glare: