Menu

Help me conquer my irrational fear

We have discovered that we have birds in our attic space. They are coming in from a space in the siding. We don't have a full attic so there are no steps. Dh can't fit in the space. We moved the ceiling tile and I am freaking out. I'm standing on the ladder with a flashlight and I'm scared out of my mind. Dh needed to go to work soon so we decided *I* would go up there tomorrow. I am sooo scared.

I am not afraid of birds. I'm not claustrophobic or afraid of dark areas. But the thought of going up in this dark attic space with just a flashlight is totally freaking me out. Maybe I've seen that Hitchcock movie too many times. Nah, it's not the movie. But I'm dreading tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to combat my silly fear?

BTW- I'm not going up there to hurt the birds. Just to see how many are up there and if there is damage to our roof.

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I was young and if I ever felt "fear-full" (when reason told me I shouldn't be) it helped *me* (and this will sound counter-intuitive) to rather than try to "minimize" the danger in my mind, to do the reverse.

So in this case it would mean trying to think of going into the attic one of the bravest acts I could possibly take. That way I found courage, and had to laugh at myself at the same time.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here :D

Bill

do you have any friends with sons who could go up with you? I'm assuming it wouldn't be wise to bring your son up, although I know nothing about Aspergers..... just wanting to keep him safe and protected.

Are you sure they're birds? They may be bats. And no matter what they are, they will be more afraid of YOU than you will be of THEM. Remember THAT. ;)

Bring a net with you. In the UNLIKELY event that they fly at you, you can cat them in a net. I love birds. I love bats. I would go up for you if I could.

:001_smile:

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I was young and if I ever felt "fear-full" (when reason told me I shouldn't be) it helped *me* (and this will sound counter-intuitive) to rather than try to "minimize" the danger in my mind, to do the reverse.

So in this case it would mean trying to think of going into the attic one of the bravest acts I could possibly take. That way I found courage, and had to laugh at myself at the same time.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here :D

Bill

That's a thought. Maybe I'll take my son's old plastic sword and shield. I'll be climbing into the dark scary cave with deadly birds in it. Ok, scratch the deadly birds-lol But I get what you're saying. If I laugh at myself, maybe I'll forget how scared I am. Thanks:)

do you have any friends with sons who could go up with you? I'm assuming it wouldn't be wise to bring your son up, although I know nothing about Aspergers..... just wanting to keep him safe and protected.

Are you sure they're birds? They may be bats. And no matter what they are, they will be more afraid of YOU than you will be of THEM. Remember THAT. ;)

Bring a net with you. In the UNLIKELY event that they fly at you, you can cat them in a net. I love birds. I love bats. I would go up for you if I could.

:001_smile:

Yeah, they're birds. We have some sparrows that have been eating from our bird feeder. I've seen them sitting on the roof next to the opening.

I know they'll be more scared than me. They'll feel threatened that I'm in *their* space.

Hey, if you live anywhere near Pittsburgh--come on over. You can rummage in my attic until your heart's content.