Menu

REAL Science ?

Osaubi

I keep looking at REAL science, but have yet to take the plunge. We currently so some science, but don't have anything formal. My ds5 soon to be 6 doesn't really like crafts, but does like to color. He gets frustrated with experiments that take a lot of time to put together. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?

TIA,

Kim

I keep looking at REAL science, but have yet to take the plunge. We currently so some science, but don't have anything formal. My ds5 soon to be 6 doesn't really like crafts, but does like to color. He gets frustrated with experiments that take a lot of time to put together. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?

TIA,

Kim

I think, based on what you described, that you and your son would enjoy it. We used REAL Science: Life Science, and REAL Science: Earth Science. The experiments use readily available materials (for the most part -- I suppose that a relative assumption, though). They are basic experiments, too, nothing complicated. There isn't much of what I'd call "crafty" in either one. Some of the experiments are stretched out over a time period (sprouting seeds, for example), so there isn't always "instant gratification" in the experiments. Overall, we really liked it, and we did not supplement it either. It's great "as is." We did get the package that goes with each level as I didn't have access to several of the parts.

I used REAL Life Science this year with my 5/6 year old. He doesn't much like to color and there was a lot of coloring. Also, with the life science, there were an unrealistic number of activities involving live animals. We simply couldn't do a lot of the activities because I wasn't willing to keep fish and the weather was too cold to find many bugs and so forth.

It got to the point were science wasn't getting done. So I switched to K12 science in January and now science is a breeze. The activities are realistic and there has been very little coloring. I also have decided that I prefer doing many different science topics during the year (what K12 does) rather than focusing on only one. I just think it makes more sense with the younger kids.

I agree that REAL Science may work for you. We really liked it, although I'm finding it may be too simplistic for my daughter at age 10. As mentioned, the projects are fairly easy and straightforward w/out a real "crafty" aspect. There isn't a ton of time involved in the experiments either.

We would get frustrated with science experiments that would go "wrong" or not quite worked as planned. We'd get so involved in figuring out how to get the proper outcome we'd miss the point. We tend, now, to talk alot about experiments that are done in a controlled environment and the results thereof, while maybe only doing 1/2 of the experiments ourselves. Saves on frustration in our house. And we learn just as much and keep going forward.

Some thoughts,