Menu

best geometry program

Our Dd will finish with Lials Algebra 1 in about 1-2 months. We are looking ahead to geometry.

It has been a while since I have taken the course, and do not feel up to checking proofs.

What programs have you liked, and why??

I have heard some good things about TT geometry, but we had tried TT algebra and it just wasn't a good fit (not trying to stir that pot again!) Is TT geometry like the other courses? I really like the idea of having a video back up.

Any thoughts are appreciated:)

I'll second Dr.Callahan for Geometry. My DS did very well with this. You also might want to look into Rapid Learning Center. They offer a HS Geometry course with either an online 1-year subscription option or you can purchase the DVD OR CD option. They also have a great newsletter that offers tips for math and science mastery. Here's their link: Subscribe to Rapid Learning Course

Take care

Edited by epiphanybella

Unless you find a program that exclusively uses proofs that are partially completed in the problem with the student filling in blanks for the rest, there won't be just one correct answer to a proof problem. This is probably the biggest reason that my Geometry class at co-op is maxed out every year --parents have such a tough time grading proofs.

An alternative is to only assign those proof problems which are in skeleton form, not any that are "start from scratch".

For Geometry, I like Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press and Harold Jacobs' Geometry. I've used the 3rd editions of both texts (separately).

We are thinking of Chalkdust for next year also. We loved his Alg II with an older child. My big question is about proofs. It is a proof based Geometry. It doesn't have to be all proofs but I would still like quite a few?

Thanks

Adelia

Seconding Chalkdust here. Although the Jacob's text which accompanies Dr. Callahan's videos is a good geometry text, Dana Moseley absolutely makes the Chalkdust program. I would wholeheartedly recommend Chalkdust over Dr. Callahan's videos, because I think his explanations were clearer and the presentation was easier to understand.

The thought of checking them absolutely terrified me! I NEVER got these in high school, even though I had a proof heavy class and I made an "A." The Chalkdust solutions manual has all the steps of the proofs. Now, the proof is only done one way in the solutions manaul. Most of the time I was able to figure them out even if ds did them slightly differently. The few times ds approached a proof in such a way that was totally different from the solutions manual, I just let him e-mail it to Professor Mosely, and he checked it. But, honestly this was probably only 3 or 4 times all year. Most of the time I was able to see that ds had gotten it even if he approached it differently. Most of the time his answers were identical to the solutions manual anyway.

I always feel like I am some sort of Chalkdust fanatic, but it really is that good.

Thank you! That is a relief. We fell in love with "Uncle Buck" this year. I did Geo with the oldest last year and stuggled checking those proofs. It will be great to have another teacher teach and help with the checking.

Adelia