Menu

My heart is aching.....

My son wants to attend some college level classes and just took a placement test and didn't test out at a college level. He is ending his 10th year of HS and was hoping to get into some college classes. Some of his friends have tested and have done well. He is now comparing himself to them and feels like he doesn't have the "smarts" like they do. We talked to him about that and prayed over him tonight. It really makes you examine all you have done for your children and where they are going.

Are there some specific areas that you can tell from the testing are lacking? Could you take a semester to work on those and try again?

It's got to be disheartening. One of my biggest fears actually. I often quip off a quote I read here (or somewhere) once "After all, I'm preparing my kids for Heaven, not for Harvard", but the reality is that I do want my kids to go to college if they choose to, and I hope I am preparing them adequately for it.

:grouphug:

We talked with our son about that very thing. We are not schooling him to be like the rest but to be set apart from the world. Education is not something he will be "taking with him" but, serving the Lord is what matters in the end. We want him to be seeking God for his future and in that we will be proud! It is just hard to be a parent and see our children hurt.

...and though nobody would sign up for an experience like this, it will work in the end for good -- to help him improve his test-taking skills, to bear disappointments gracefully, etc.

But I know a Mom's heart does ache. I'll remember you both in prayer.

Hugs,

Sandy

Sorry and hugs for your son. Is he allowed to retest? In WA the students are allowed to do the placement test again. Does he know where he struggled? Maybe take the summer to practice test taking skills and brush up on the areas he struggled in. If he can't do college yet, perhaps an AP class for the challenge.

You are doing the right thing by praying over him... there will always be someone we don't measure up - he needs to be confident in himself and find out what he wants to do or be and then work towards that goal... not towards being as good as someone else.

Keep encouraging him, mama - you're doing a good job.

My son tested into a very low level math--not even college level. He appealed and won. Unfortunately, he didn't study as much as he should have, nor did he ask for help when it was available. I don't know if he passed the class.

Sometimes those tests are accurate, and sometimes they aren't. But he still has time to take a few classes later--it is pretty rare for a 10th grader to be able to pass those.