Menu

If I dont use SOTW vol 3 next year

HollyDay

Well there are many options but you'll have to narrow down what you are looking for. Is there a reason you'd rather not do SOTW 3? Do you want World history with American included or American history with some World or just American? How central to your homeschool do you want history to be? In other words, do you want history to be a major focus or just another subject? Do you want to buy a package or utilize the library primarily? Do you want secular history or Christian focus?

Heather

Wow! Awesome questions!!! Thanks!

A few thoughts so far. I want history to be more than "just another subject" with great living literature ,but I have a very, very poor library locally. I want to continue world literature studies with some additional emphasis on American.

Why am I leaving SOTW? Well, I feel my oldest would be better served with another program. She is beginning to feel like SOTW is "talking down to her". I can understand this. I need a better timeline. The flow of the lessons without dates is driving me nuts. It has been a wonderful option for us this year since MOH vol 2 did not work well for us.

I am looking at Truthquest and maybe Beautiful Feet. HO looks interesting but I do want a biblical world view.

Ideas?? I am planning my budget

We're using the AHYS 1 book this year and love it. My kids are actually enjoying history again. I love the commentary with a Biblical worldview. The reading selections have been excellent.

AOR 1 would be perfect for your ages. Since your library isn't that great, I would recommend getting some of the suggested spines. The Guerber American history ones are excellent and scheduled in TruthQuest.

I am currently using SOTW 2 as a supplement to Mystery of History 2. My children are all grammar age and MOH is a stretch, but we read it aloud. It is seeped in scripture - this was my main reason for switching from SOTW. The Bible is elevated and treated as the center of the curriculum. The mapping is better for an older child, the activities are just ok, but the timeline has been WONDERFUL. All this said, I think the MOH would be great for your daughter who feels that she is being 'talked down to'. I'm not sure when the third book would come out or if you would want to stretch out Rome/ Middle Ages and go through book 2 - it has a lot that SOTW 2 doesn't have. HTH

http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/

For me, I thought it focused on things that I thought a bit obscure and it didn't give enough American history for my tastes.

I wound up just using the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History as a spine and supplementing with stuff I found in the library or online. This is how TWTM suggested we approach history before SOTW was written. It has worked well, and I can easily emphasize or de-emphasize what I want.

All that said, I am always on the lookout for good history curricula. I will be looking (again) this spring, but my backup plan is to get a higher level encyclopedia (maybe DK) and just continue as TWTM suggests. I think there's about a 95% chance I will wind up doing this, and I will likely be about 95% happy. (Sounds like a good plan, eh?)

Good luck!

Ok - I can see why SOTW 3 would seem young for your 7th grader. My 7th grader finds SOTW interesting but wouldn't like it to be the primary history source. So here are some ideas depending on what you are looking for. If your primary goal is the Biblical focus then TruthQuest is really nice for that. What I find lacking in TQ is structured academic assignments. There are a few 'ThinkWrite' questions but not many. If you want history to be one of the subjects where you are writing essays, thinking questions etc you aren't going to get that with TQ unless you create that part yourself.

The academic assignments is where History Odyssey really shines. It includes beginning essay writing, evaluating primary sources, timeline work etc. However, it is secular. It isn't anti-Christian in any way but there isn't Christian commentary.

This is the crossroads I find myself in as well. I am not good at creating the academic work myself so I will probably go with History Odyssey and add the biblical focus with additional reading.

Another option would be to use Sonlight Core 7. It uses SOTW 3 and 4 (although you certainly could pace it however you want) but it includes additional books to make it more appropriate for older children. Then you would have writing assignments and questions already done for you. I think the type of writing assignments in HO are a bit better than SL - SL leans a bit more creative writing than HO - but at least it would be there and then since you are doing SOTW 3, your 4th grader would be on target too.

I haven't used or really looked at Biblioplan so I can't comment on that.

Hope these thoughts help