Menu

Your opinions/recs on programs or how to approach writing for early elementary ages

muffinmom

My ds7 already loves to write and illustrate his own (mini)books. He is very verbal and loves to tell stories (he dictates these stories and I type them onto pages for him to illustrate).

Do I need to be more instructive with him at this age? Or just keep letting him write, write, write and enjoy it (BTW, we have many teaching opportunities during these "book-writing" sessions.) And we are doing a phonics/language program.

I would love to hear your thoughts and what has worked for your kids.

I would say that you sound comfortable with his growth in language arts and that you are both enjoying your approach so then you're doing great!:001_smile:

With my younger dd we will be using CW Primers and when older dd was that age we used Primary Language Lessons. I think both are great. You could add in a gentle grammar program if you felt it was needed. Also, it helps to think about where you want him to be in a couple of years (say 4th grade) and what you might use to get there. Then work backwards from there.

HTH

I used a grammar and writing textbook for oldest dd and those writing assignments drove us both to tears. Dd didn't know what to write and I couldn't figure out why she just couldn't do it. Reading WWE cleared it all up for me. It came out to late for her though. For several years I basically stopped insisting that she write anything for school beyond taking notes and writing answers for her texts. I allowed her to do creative writing on her own. I didn't grade anything she wrote. Now she loves creative writing. We are gradually easing back into writing reports and other types of writing that will be required for high school.

I was one of those children who loved to write and I didn't understand that most people don't. Having a child who loves to write is a rare and wonderful thing.Let him write! What he wants, as much as he wants.

I was just listening to the SWB recording for K-4 writing from Cincinnati. She said a couple of things that I think relate to your post. If you have a natural writer who writes creatively, let them write. Do not correct grammar, spelling, etc (unless they ask). Tell them the story is wonderful. But, still do the WWE style Narrative writing because they are very different in purpose and output.

Hope that helps!

I was just listening to the SWB recording for K-4 writing from Cincinnati. She said a couple of things that I think relate to your post. If you have a natural writer who writes creatively, let them write. Do not correct grammar, spelling, etc (unless they ask). Tell them the story is wonderful. But, still do the WWE style Narrative writing because they are very different in purpose and output.

Hope that helps!

thank you...that was helpful. I guess I need to check out WWE.

"My ds7 already loves to write and illustrate his own (mini)books. He is very verbal and loves to tell stories (he dictates these stories and I type them onto pages for him to illustrate)."

AWESOME idea!!!

Deb

I would add some copywork, and really insist on correct letter formation, punctuation, and spelling in that. And continue with the grammar program, adding narration of subject area summaries as well.

If you are interested in approaches that preserve his creative writing instinct and writing voice, I recommend looking at Writing Strands 3 when he is in about 3rd grade, and maybe investing in Writers' Jungle as well. WJ teaches parents to implement a writing lifestyle, and emphasizes tools and activities that nurture a creative writer as well.

I would add some copywork, and really insist on correct letter formation, punctuation, and spelling in that. And continue with the grammar program, adding narration of subject area summaries as well.

If you are interested in approaches that preserve his creative writing instinct and writing voice, I recommend looking at Writing Strands 3 when he is in about 3rd grade, and maybe investing in Writers' Jungle as well. WJ teaches parents to implement a writing lifestyle, and emphasizes tools and activities that nurture a creative writer as well.

Thanks!