Menu

A few ??'s for History Odyssey Users....

Jen+4dc

1) Can you tell me what you like and don't like? The good, the bad and the ugly (and the great!). I'm considering it for 7th, 5th, 2nd and preK next year.

2) Can I combine the kids in the same time period? If I buy levels 1 and 2 would they be studying the same stuff at the same time just in different levels of depth?

3) Could I just buy level 2 Ancients and use SOTW and its AG (with lots of library books) for my youngers?

4) The last 2 years we have done two SL cores (3 then 4) and enjoyed them. So we are familiar with SL. If you have used both can you give me a comparison?

5) I've also looked at MFW and TOG so if you want to compare to those that would be great, too!

Thanks!!

First I should say that I did HO level 2 with my dd in 5th (Ancients), 6th (Middle Ages), and part of 7th grades (Early Modern). I'll try to answer your questions based on my experience.

1) Can you tell me what you like and don't like?

I liked the fact that it was all planned out--read this page, do a summary, label this map, etc. I also liked the fact that it included historical fiction as part of the curriculum. The History Pockets projects were fun at first, but got a little tedious. However, if you are trying to use multiple ages, this might be a good way to get everyone involved. Do note that Ancients is the only level that includes these activities--each year gets progressively more difficult, and I would think that combining would not be as easy with MA and EM due to the nature of the assignments (lots of outlining, research projects, etc).

2) Can I combine the kids in the same time period?

I only have experience with level 2, but I have heard that combining levels is difficult.

3) Could I just buy level 2 Ancients and use SOTW and its AG (with lots of library books) for my youngers?

This seems do-able to me, but I have no personal experience with combining ages.

4) The last 2 years we have done two SL cores (3 then 4) and enjoyed them.

5) I've also looked at MFW and TOG so if you want to compare to those that would be great, too!

Sorry--no help here. Hopefully someone else can compare these for you.

1) Can you tell me what you like and don't like? The good, the bad and the ugly (and the great!). I'm considering it for 7th, 5th, 2nd and preK next year.

Well, I am no expert, but I am using Ancients 2 with a 5th grader. I like that it teaches things incrementally and gives a lot of practice writing summaries and outlining. I like that it includes all the mapwork and I don't have to go looking for it. I like that it varies the activities and the reading. I like that it doesn't cost a fortune to use, and I can easily add in all sorts of other interesting things from the library to round it out. I like the book choices, even if I wish there were more of them. I like that it is balanced, and I am not always trying to figure out (like I am when I do my own plans) if it is too much or too little to expect from my child to do.

I don't like that it doesn't have enough reading for us, but that is easy to remedy. I don't like that it doesn't teach outlining, but that is also fixable. I am not a big fan of "The Story of Mankind," but it is easy to substitute out and TSOM is online if you really need to see it for something. Honestly, those are my only negatives.

2) Can I combine the kids in the same time period? If I buy levels 1 and 2 would they be studying the same stuff at the same time just in different levels of depth?

The time period part is easy enough, but each HO level uses a different spine, and it follows that spine for timing. So even if you are all studying the same thing, you still aren't studying it at exactly the same time.

Yes. I was kind of looking at this using Sonlight Core 1. And it works, to a point. You have to pick one of them as your true spine, and use that to give your timeline. If you used HO as that, you would just have to figure our how to schedule your SOTW readings to match it. You aren't always working exactly chronologically -- sometimes you are following the culture instead of just plain timing. Some things would match up, and some wouldn't, but overall, I think you could make this work it you weren't too picky.

4) The last 2 years we have done two SL cores (3 then 4) and enjoyed them. So we are familiar with SL. If you have used both can you give me a comparison?

IMO HO is more about skill-building and learning to do the summaries and outlining. SL is more about reading great books. They are complementary, really. I haven't used Core 6 or 7, and that is probably what you need compared though. You could definitely add in Core 6 and 7 books to HO and get the best of both approaches.

No clue! Sorry!

Thanks!!

I can't seem to figure out or manage to pull together the WTM method of history at this level without HO. I love it for that reason. It is exactly what I was looking for at this level for this child. Your child needs to be ready to do this kind of writing, and it helps if your child is detail-oriented or you are using this to teach your child to be. To be fair, some people find this approach to be dry, which we remedy by adding in more fun readings.

Good luck choosing!

Edited by Asenik
needed to clarify!

Thanks!!

I will be using it for my 9 year old daughter Ancients Level 2 and using SOTW AG for my 4 year old son.

I like the layout of HO. It is easy to follow for us at least and I have been able to supplement reading without any major problem.

I have never done SL or MFW,TOG so no help there.

Those perspectives are very helpful! I'm hoping that I could use History Odyssey to keep us on track with a classical approach. My kids really need to learn some of those research and outlining and summarizing skills. I absolutely love the learning through literature that SL has offered us, but now that we've been home schooling for a couple of years and I feel a little more comfortable, I'm wanting to expect more rigorous academics and analyzing of literature. SL has this to a point in the IG, but I have a hard time knowing how much to really expect from a "Xth" grader. Will HO help me with this?? The samples make me think it will.

I'm thinking of using HO as my "spine" and adding in some age appropriate books from SL's core 1 and core 6. Those of you who've done this...it sounds like from previous posts that adding in extra reading (especially since we are used to that from SL) would be easy enough to do??

Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

Good: It's a nice reasonable schedule; HO Level 2 is written to the student. All maps are included.

Bad: It's very repetitive and that gets boring.

Ugly: I'm not big on History Pockets which is a lot of the Level 1 program. (Kids like them...mom thinks, ugh!)

Yes and no. The lessons do not line up (like TOG's do). Overall you will be studying the same time period, but not really the same things at the same time, so not a great selling point.

Yes!

(I think I have used everything at some point.) SL has soooooo much more reading. I'm using HO Ancients Level 2 (the section on Rome) with my ds in 6th grade. HO is only one portion of the reading he's required to do each week. I also prefer CM's way of reading a book over a longer period rather than reading it all at once and being done with it. (HO, SL way) That said, I schedule more books to be read (less than SL/use the Ambleside Online and SL lists) over a longer period of time.

No experience with MFW. TOG has a lot to offer, but I was not thrilled with some of the book choices for UG/LG, and I had so many other good books that I ended up substituting and undoing one of the benefits of TOG. With TOG, you will have to pick and choose what you are going to do each week, with HO you may feel the need to add to the program. Do look at the sample pages for TOG and HO. They should give you a good feel for what each program looks like.

Michelle,

Thanks! I have looked at the samples and although the idea of TOG really, really appeals to me, the IG made my head swim! I love the "open and go" of SL. Of course, I'm always adding in books because "this one is just soooo good, we can do one more."

I'm thinking I could use HO to keep us accountable to actually learn something from the books, not just enjoy reading them. And, to actually use the map I bought! KWIM?

Adding things in is easy for me, I am so used to adding things in I don't think I could stop myself if I wanted to;). Dropping them, however, is a much different story for me!

That said, do those of you who have used it think History Odyssey would be a good fit?

From what I have seen of SOTW AG and HO 1 are not that different. Both give suggested additional reading and a choice of projects at a variety of levels. The SOTW AG has more projects that are age-appropriate. HO uses books that are geared to grades 4 and 5 for their project suggestions. Both have maps.

If you want something with scheduled reading, on level for K-2nd grade, along with doable (I am not spending 7 weeks making a real mummy) age-appropriate projects that aren't all paper crafts, then another program would work better for you. If you want to add in your own reading, choose from a list and go to the library, then HO or SOTW AG would work for you.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Carmen,

Do you have a suggestion for another program for my youngers? I'm really focusing on the three R's for my ds6 (1st grade, reluctant reader) so I want him to have a taste of history, and he's pretty hands-on and auditory. So, I want to really DO history with dd12 and ds10 and let ds6 and dd4 tag along for the ride.

1)

Yes and no. The lessons do not line up (like TOG's do). Overall you will be studying the same time period, but not really the same things at the same time, so not a great selling point.

I noticed this and luckily had time before school started and went through and lined them up. Yes, it took time but it was important to me that they were covering things at the same time. There were times that level one was farther ahead than level two so I took that time to have my level one student read some of the many books that were suggested.

Do you think that was better than just using SOTW and the AG? I think either way would be work to line them up, but I'm a tweaker;). The level 1 program is not expensive, but would it be worth it? I already own SOTW 1 and its AG.

Actually when I purchased the two levels I wasnt' aware of SOTW and it's AG. I may have just did what you are thinking but now that I've spent the whole year doing the 2 levels I like it. It all spelled out for me (after I *tweaked* the order) and it was real nice to just type on their schedules "history- lesson 2". This was my first year doing HS and thought this was what the kids and I needed. Next year I'm going to apply the classical method to all areas of study and not just history.

So charmama4,

Did you use everything from level 1? Did you like their maps and such? Did you find that when you lined things up they could have good discussions on what they were studying? In "Jen's perfect world" everyone would be learning the same things at their own level at the same time and we'd have these great dinner conversations each day telling Dad what we learned that day.:smilielol5: In my dreams!!

Carmen,

Do you have a suggestion for another program for my youngers? I'm really focusing on the three R's for my ds6 (1st grade, reluctant reader) so I want him to have a taste of history, and he's pretty hands-on and auditory. So, I want to really DO history with dd12 and ds10 and let ds6 and dd4 tag along for the ride.

Mine of course! (currently in progress) It follows TWTM suggestions as close as I could get it. (3 hours of history a week including projects, then 20-40 minutes of literature or readers for those 3 days as well).

Since you already have the AG, I would just go with that, unless the projects intimidate you. I can suggest some books at your level though, especially picture books and most of them are not too expensive and available at Amazon.com.

I would LOVE some suggestions, books and projects! Do you really write your own curriculum? My ds6 (7 next month) is reading mostly Level 2 now (although each company who makes easy readers seems to label them differently). His reading has jumped leaps and bounds in the last 2 weeks and I'm hoping by next school year he'll be fluent enough that it's not a "chore" (he's almost there!!!! Yeah!!!)

I also have a dd4 who can name a few letters and sounds but I haven't pushed her, we just read together and she sits in on big bro's stuff. Dd12 and ds10 who are voracious readers (SL wasn't enough, I had to add in!!).

Edited by Jen+4dc

I am writing my own to sell. DD has done some of the projects and loves reading the books, but reading SOTW, notebooking pages and mapping doesn't happen. That is why my sig says "ancients book basket" instead of SOTW, or the name of my curriculum (Which I have yet to invent, have anything clever?).

I need to get my booklist up on my blog. I will work on that and get you a link when I do.

So charmama4,

Did you use everything from level 1? Did you like their maps and such? Did you find that when you lined things up they could have good discussions on what they were studying? In "Jen's perfect world" everyone would be learning the same things at their own level at the same time and we'd have these great dinner conversations each day telling Dad what we learned that day.:smilielol5: In my dreams!!

I actually did use each and every lesson (at least I will, just completed the ancient Greece unit and off to ancient Rome). Because I used the level 2 as a guide on what my DS would be covering in his level 1, level 1 had more room to explore the books and movies and more activities to go at level 2's pace. Did that make sense? Sorry if I ramble, I have a headache is (((((((((this big)))))))))!!!!

Yes, I do recommend going to pandiapress.com and checking out the lesson plans and the samples of lessons. It's most helpful for me so I can see what books to keep my eye out for at garage sales and such. Happy researching!!