Menu

What I suspected all along; The new TWTM....

I always get the 2 mixed up: do you mean RS4K or REAL Science? Your post has me curious though... I'm running to get my new WTM out of the van, lol. It's there for me to read during the kids' TaeKwonDo, when we're stuck in town w/o enough time to drive home between things, etc. :) I'm wondering if she adds anything to it - like books on historical scientists, or suggestions to 'flesh it out' with library books, etc., or just use it as is. Is this for Grammar or Logic stage?

Suggests using REAL Science 4 Kids. One level. Chemistry. One covers the year. Biology. Again, one for the year.

I knew that people were planning on doing way too much!:chillpill:

:tongue_smilie:

Well, I don't really get how that is going to be enough for one year? One book pr. year?

When we did RS4K Physics for a year I used it more as a spine, so we would do a chapter one week then the next 2-3 weeks we did Science in a Nutshell kits that were on the same topic, then another chapter followed by 2 weeks of experiments, etc. It wouldn't have been enough on its own for a full year.

But I haven't looked at the other subjects.

When we did RS4K Physics for a year I used it more as a spine, so we would do a chapter one week then the next 2-3 weeks we did Science in a Nutshell kits that were on the same topic, then another chapter followed by 2 weeks of experiments, etc. It wouldn't have been enough on its own for a full year.

But I haven't looked at the other subjects.

Exactly, its book is not enough on its own. I thought it was originally meant as a one year course, using all three books in one year, but I guess not.

I believe the long term plans of the company are to put out two books for each level - so there will be a second chemistry one book, second biology one book, etc. Then each subject will cover one year. So they consider each book to be approximately 18-20 weeks worth of material.

Yes, I do way, way more than that. But I'm more science-minded than the folks at PHP. Their emphasis has always been on history and language arts. While I'm keen on those areas of study, too, I tend to think that kids who love science should get more science in their diet from an early age.

Sorry that I didn't reply. I had a baby with food poisoning and didn't want vomit on my new book.

TWTM page 174:

"Real Science-4-Kids, ... offers Pre-Level 1 Chemistry and Pre-Level 1 Biology, each curriculum provides one year of study and is designed for use by K-3 students..... Chemistry is studied first, followed by Biology, so if you decide to use this program, you should feel free to tinker with our suggested order of study."

I just want to note that I love how Susan has pointed out that we should feel free to be flexible.

I really like delving deeper into science as well. I just see so many that are doing more in the area of history and science. Combined together, history and science shouldn't be taking more than 5 hours a week. (Literature is more time and that is based on history mostly, so this gets muddled.) So if and when we delve deeper into science, we slack off on the history a bit.

If you choose to do more, that is fine. I just was feeling a lot of pressure to do more because of what I saw so many others doing, like 3 books from RS4K in one year, plus a rigorous history program like SL. That's all.

We used Biology over the course of the year with supplements to each lesson. It worked out well for us.

:iagree:

We used both pre-level biology and chemistry this way, and it worked out quite well. We supplemented with other hands-on projects, and library books, plus we were doing nature studies "on the side". Plenty of science!