Menu

Considering a private school

Gamom3

We are considering a private 3 day a week school for dc for 2010/2011.

The other 2 days they will be home.

It is a very rigorous and strict school!

We know they will get a very good education there.

I am wanting to get the kids ready.

I know I need to focus on writing and math this coming year.

I have signed them up for an online writing course for the summer and plan on using Keys to Math series for the summer.

I am considering Classical Conversations for the up coming year for writing and latin.

What else would you do to prepare them?

They have never been to a "school" with structure.

They have been in an few co-op's and a few outside classes.

They will be in 7th and 9th grade when/if we send them.

We are considering a private 3 day a week school for dc for 2010/2011.

The other 2 days they will be home.

It is a very rigorous and strict school!

We know they will get a very good education there.

I am wanting to get the kids ready.

I know I need to focus on writing and math this coming year.

I have signed them up for an online writing course for the summer and plan on using Keys to Math series for the summer.

I am considering Classical Conversations for the up coming year for writing and latin.

What else would you do to prepare them?

They have never been to a "school" with structure.

They have been in an few co-op's and a few outside classes.

They will be in 7th and 9th grade when/if we send them.

My best friend put her kids into this kind of setting this year and it has gone very well. Her son had been homeschooled following the WTM for K-5th grade and started at the 3 day a week school for 6th grade. The hardest part for him was being required to write assignments in cursive, as they had not done cursive (talk about a crash course LOL).

Hi-

Just wanted to ask a bit about this school. I've never heard of anything like it! Sounds like such a great option b/t having them in school and also at home. Is this some thing new? It is considered private or a supplement to homeschooling? Do they meet 180 days? Would you take a second to explain it? Thanks.

Terri

for about 4yrs now. They have been around for 10yrs.

It was created by some homeschool parents, looking for more outside classes for their children and more structure.

They are accredited.

We looked somewhat into it a couple of years ago for our oldest, but didn't follow through with it.

Saturday we went to a friends graduation there. All of the kids(20 graduates) were going on to college and 15 out of the 20 had scholarships!

The school starts taking children at 6th grade. They are looking at adding 4th and 5th, which would only be 2 days a week.

Price wise they are not that bad at all.

Hi-

Just wanted to ask a bit about this school. I've never heard of anything like it! Sounds like such a great option b/t having them in school and also at home. Is this some thing new? It is considered private or a supplement to homeschooling? Do they meet 180 days? Would you take a second to explain it? Thanks.

Terri

Hi Terri,

I don't mean to hijack this thread. However, I just wanted to throw this website out there: www.naums.net. It's the National Assoc. of University-Model Schools. It is a great alternative between homeschooling and private school. Once you're on their webpage, click on directory of schools to see if there are any in your area.

I'm in Texas, and I think there are at least 5 schools in my area. I'm considering this option for my oldest when he gets to 6th grade. HTH, Trina

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed where you live. We know a family who use Corum Dei (or whatever the Latin is), and are quite pleased.

When I read the OP, I immediately wondered whether she were speaking of a "university model" school. Those can be a perfect fit for some families. In the best instances, one receives the "best of both worlds" for homeschool and [what I call] "outside school".

Hi Terri,

I don't mean to hijack this thread. However, I just wanted to throw this website out there: www.naums.net. It's the National Assoc. of University-Model Schools. It is a great alternative between homeschooling and private school. Once you're on their webpage, click on directory of schools to see if there are any in your area.

I'm in Texas, and I think there are at least 5 schools in my area. I'm considering this option for my oldest when he gets to 6th grade. HTH, Trina