Menu

Can't get ITBS as scheduled. Thoughts on CAT5?

Three months ago we had the ITBS scheduled to be delivered to us from Piedmont on May 18. They emailed on Friday and can no longer service the test. I can't find anyone who can get it to us on such short notice. We go on summer break at the end of May and I just won't make my kids stop summer break for a standardized test.

Piedmont says they may be able to get the CAT 5 out, but I really haven't had a chance to look at it. Any thoughts on it?

This is for my 5th and 3rd graders who have never taken a standardized test.

Thanks!

Have you used BJU in the past? If you have, then you can pay expedited shipping and get tests within 1-2 days. It's a pain to pay extra, but I've done it twice now (with late sign-ups), and they have gotten tests to me *very* fast. Even if you're not on file, you may be able to do it that quickly. They'll tell you it takes a few days to get your approval on file, but I've found they work really quickly if I let them know the situation. (Having access to a fax machine also speeds things up a lot.)

A local friend called me today about this because she got that email about the halt on shipments. She promptly called and had a long conversation with someone.

It seems they had a glitch in processing online orders this year and the tests may have gotten into the hands of students at a ps before they took the actual test in their class...cheating, essentially.

She was referred to another company who knows of Piedmont's troubles and is working with their customers to get testing done in a timely manner.

So, I have no idea what will happen to Piedmont. I hope my tests get scored and returned to me safely...we just tested 2 weeks ago with them and shipped ours on about May 4.

Unsettling, to say the least.

Here is the email I received on Friday:

Dear Homeschooler,

Please forgive the impersonal nature of sending an email, but due to the immediacy of the situation and the number of homeschooling families affected, I felt it was better and faster to email instead of call.

I am writing about your order of the ITBS you requested for testing during the week of May 18-22. Unfortunately, as a result of an unsuccessful resolution of a recent contract dispute with the Riverside Publishing Co., as of today May 8, 2009, we are no longer permitted to sell or service the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (or any of its companion products) at this time, and will not be able to send you the Iowa Tests you ordered. Therefore, please tell us which of these two options would best meet your achievement testing needs:

1. We can refund your money and you can immediately order the Iowa tests from Triangle Education Assessments at http://homeschoolertests.com, or by phone at 919-274-7495. You may mention that we referred you to them.

-or-

2. We are working on securing the rights to provide another nationally standardized achievement test, the CAT/5 (which is just as good and not as restrictive as the ITBS). However, we won't have that available until probably after May 15. If you would like this option, we would simply notify you when that test did come available and send it to you instead of the ITBS.

I do apologize for the confusion and problem regarding the ITBS. But I hope that one of these options above will help meet your achievement testing needs.

We appreciate your being understanding during this time and look forward to working with you. Please let me know as soon as you can what you want us to do.

My neighbor is testing this week. Piedmont sent hers and she hasn't heard anything from them, so we are assuming they will score hers.

As for your friend who is scheduled for 5/30, I would doubt they will send the ITBS, but they may be waiting to notify her, hoping that the situation will be resolved by then.

I was finally able to order tests from Triangle, as they first said June 1, then they called a couple hours later and told me that they had just received a shipment and could go ahead and send it. They were very helpful and easy to order from.

Thanks for the info, everyone.