Menu

Here is my math dilemma with my ds

Ds is in 7th grade. He is pretty strong in math (certainly compared to my girls). This is the situation he's in right now.

I put him in the Life of Fred books. He did the fractions book in a short time, and is now doing decimals. He is itching to start the Algebra.

I'm not sure what to do about him as far as math. I know he will go further than the girls. He will certainly start Algebra before the year is out.

I have no clue what to put him in. I have the Life of Fred Algebra (he is really doing well with LOF so far). I also have the Key To Algebra here. I have Lial's. I am planning to order Math Relief for my dd. I also have an interest in the Kinetic math online and could use that.

I am letting him do a placement test right now for Saxon just to give me an idea of where he'd place. It looks like he'll be right between the 87 book and Algebra 1/2 based on the placement test (some of which he will cover doing his decimals/percents book which would probably bump him to the Algebra 1/2 for sure).

What would be a good suggestion for him??

We did CD pre-algebra in 7th grade. My dd did quite well with it. We are now doing CD algebra and she does well with some of the chapters and others are less than mastery. Math is not her strong suit so I'm not stressed about it. I may have her do algebra I again next year. Anyway, we love the program. I bought the DVDs for the pre-algebra and bought the VHS (used) for algebra I. It is quite expensive new and hard to find used. There is a web site so you can check it out. Have a great homeschooling day.

Your son will be ready for Algebra as soon as he has covered/reviewed fractions, decimals and percents.

The Keys to Algebra series is a Pre-Algebra level.

Saxon's placement tests are not always accurate--especially if you have ever used Saxon before. 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 are the same level text (Pre-Algebra). 8/7 teaches the concept beginning at a lower level--while Algebra 1/2 assumes prior knowledge/mastery and moves a bit faster--same basic concepts are covered and both prepare the student for Algebra 1.

Once he is ready, you can use the LOF Algebra book and supplement/combine it with Lial's if needed. It sounds like you have lots of resources available--and since your son is motivated he should do well.

Stacy, I know I keep coming back to ALEKS, but I think he's a perfect candidate. It isn't cheap, but it's self paced and he only works on what he needs. Anything he knows, he tests out of.

I was a little confused in your original post. I wasn't sure whether you were asking for curriculum advice or whether you should start Algebra I right away, or a little of both. I would caution against Saxon if you didn't use it with success for the lower levels. If he's good at Math it could prove to be too incremental. Let him take off.

Barb