Menu

Which Macbeth video do you prefer, and why? (m)

ds has been reading Macbeth, and his lit tutor has asked him to watch a movie or video of it as well.

I have the Ian McKellan version in hand, which is probably the "purest" version, as it is simply the play on stage--no sets, almost no props, purely the acting. It is, however, very hard to hear (not well miked), thus even harder to follow.

I was wondering if any of the other movie versions would be worth watching?

Your opinion?

TIA

We watched the Orson Welles version. It was very dark and the Macbeths appeared to live on a dramatic rock but it was at least audible and fairly uninterpreted.

I borrowed this version as well as the Ian McKellan one from the library and decided this was the better option. Neither was perfect. I much preferred the stage version I saw at the Marin Shakespeare Company a few years back.

There's a Royal Shakespeare Company version with Antony Sher that's absolutely GORGEOUS.... but from what I've heard it's only available from the UK as a Region 2 DVD. Not terribly helpful of me, is it! LOL If you happen to have a regionless DVD player or a computer that will serve as one, it's at the RSC site.

don't miss the Japanese version, Throne of Blood. Great alternate take.

Danielle

Dh and I count this film as one of our all-time favorites. I suggest watching it after studying MacBeth. Throne of Blood is incredibly beautiful and atmospheric, but it doesn't follow Shakespeare's script very closely. There's a haunted forest, an eery witch, a sympathetic ghost, and an intensely evil and conniving wife. Don't miss the main character's death scene-- it's one of the most exciting scenes in modern film.

I really like "Throne of Blood", directed by Akira Kurasawa in 1957. It's a Japanese adaptation of the story, set in 17th century Samurai Japan. The dialogue has not been translated over or used, but it's quite faithful to the storyline of MacBeth.

For other movie versions, check out these two lists:

Absolute Shakespeare, short list of Shakespeare plays done on film:

http://absoluteshakespeare.com/trivia/films/films.htm

Wikipedia, long list of Shakespeare plays done on film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shakespeare_on_film

Happy viewing! Warmly, Lori D.

**I have the Ian McKellan version in hand, which is probably the "purest" version, as it is simply the play on stage--no sets, almost no props, purely the acting. It is, however, very hard to hear (not well miked), thus even harder to follow. **

Valerie, we are currently watching the Ian McKellan version and having no problem with the recording/ audio. Could it be a damaged disc? (Part of the enjoyment, at least for my guys, re this version is identifying all the actors they recognize from various movies: "Hey, it's Lord Palpatine!")

**I have the Ian McKellan version in hand, which is probably the "purest" version, as it is simply the play on stage--no sets, almost no props, purely the acting. It is, however, very hard to hear (not well miked), thus even harder to follow. **

Valerie, we are currently watching the Ian McKellan version and having no problem with the recording/ audio. Could it be a damaged disc? (Part of the enjoyment, at least for my guys, re this version is identifying all the actors they recognize from various movies: "Hey, it's Lord Palpatine!")

We've seen, in various Shakespeare productions, Lord Palpatine, Gandalf the Grey, Boromir, "Batman" (or better yet, the rancher in "3:10 to Yuma"), etc. It never ceases to amaze me how many great actors have come out of the Royal Shakespeare Company. :)

he toughed it through, and it's a library video, so it is quite possible that it was simply worn out.

We both enjoyed seeing the actors, particularly Ian McKellan when he was *so* much younger. Watching Judy (sp?) Dench in this is just gut-wrenching! OTOH, I have to say that I don't think that I'd enjoy seeing the Lord Palpatine actor under any circumstances, in any role. I have such a visceral reaction to him from the SW movies (huge SW fans in my household) that he is pretty much ruined for me, no matter what he plays. Poor guy, I wonder how many other people feel that way?

Ever notice that so many of the same actors and actresses have played in all the period pieces such as the various Austen and Dickens adaptations? :) It is fun to compare which ones can really make you believe they are a different character and which ones are the same from movie to movie.

Cheers,

Valerie

Also, if you possibly have time, don't miss the Japanese version, Throne of Blood. Great alternate take.

Danielle

Thank you, Danielle, for mentioning Kurosawa. We watched Ran (parallel to Lear) last night and, while the film was a tad too bloody for my taste, the "boys" (husband and son) really liked it. I will now put Throne of Blood on my library list.

Jane