Menu

science for future surgeon?

lgliser

Ok, she's only in 5th grade and her mind will change   :coolgleamA:  but she says she wants to be a surgeon when she grows up and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations of a science curriculum or even just a cool book that would be interesting for her.

Edited by lgliser
  • Like 1

What kind of surgeon? 

There are many specialties. Some surgeons use robots to assist them, which can open up a study on robotics for fun. 

There is the obvious anatomy and physiology, with The Way We Work by David Macaulay as one example. Scholastic has a great hands-on paper model called The Body Book: Easy to make hands on models that teach, that is marked for grades 3-6.

You can also study germs (microbiology) as they pertain to instrument sterilization and prevention of complications after surgery. History of medicine may be interesting as well, perhaps Tiner's History of Medicine would work.

I have no personal experience with this, but it looks interesting- not surgeon specific, but an intro to a variety- you can apparently get a teacher's guide and workbook to go with it as well: 

Medical Investigation 101: A Book to Inspire Your Interest in Medicine and How Doctors Think

Guest Hollow's Jr Anatomy looks like a fun choice, but not surgeon specific related.

If she's interest in the brain, there's Ellen McHenry's The Brain as well. I love everything she offers actually!

There are some really cool Anatomy/Physiology Kits from Home Science Tools as well. There's a How To Suture Wounds Course & Kit for those interested in surgery, she might enjoy that.

If I see anything else interesting, I'll add. Looking forward to seeing other suggested options as well, as one of my daughters is very interested in this too.

My 4 oldest are all talking about going into medicine.  All the adults in our family are either nurses or doctors, so I guess there was no escape.  *sigh*. I've tried so hard to encourage them to become engineers.   :tongue_smilie:   Or heck, anything else.  Lol.  I didn't really want them to go into medicine.  Oh well.

We always used a ton of living books for science.  Even these past two years, for high school science, we used living books.  When they were little, we read through all those Apologia textbooks - the animal books + the anatomy & physiology book.  We've done Ellen McHenry's chemistry.  We read Exploring the History of Medicine (Tiner).  I always let them do projects and keep animals, bugs, plants, etc.  My oldest has all kind of plant/hydroponics set-ups in her room.  We've always had two different kinds of microscopes and use them all the time.  We have a regular microscope that has a high magnification, but we also have one that's made for younger kids that has a special light so you can see 3D magnification.  They love that microscope!  We've looked at pond water, sand, dirt, salt, tissue during dissections, insects, leaves, things we found outside...  I have pre-made slide kits with amoebas, paramecium, roots, tissue from organs, etc.  

We've also done an embarrassing number of dissections.  BEFORE high school, my kids have done the owl pellet dissection, cow eye, perch, crayfish, earthworm, mollusk, frog, starfish, etc.  So far, for high school, we've done kidney dissection, brain, heart, frog (again), snake and turtle.  Ds15 will be doing more dissections this fall with the biology program he's using.  

This jogs my memory about prepared slides. I have two 100 slide sets from Amscope. We do use our microcscope, and these slides are really nice.

Here is set B. http://www.amscope.com/100-pc-prepared-microscope-glass-slides-set-b.html

People talk about this on Amazon.

Edited by calbear

Projects- (may just be science oriented vs surgery oriented)

dissection kits of organs or animals (or even just chickens from the grocery store) - include face masks and gloves for fun and practice. Xsmall gloves can be purchased on-line so the “large glove as more a toy than a tool†is skipped. Large gloves are difficult to maneuver in.

Learning to sew and practicing stitches on skin of chickens when good at seeing fabric (different stitches used by surgeons can be googled)

DNA extraction kit

DNA models

Blood typing

Cells under the microscope

Fingerprinting kits

Human skeleton and organ models to study

CPR class

Studying basic first aid

X-ray unit

Study of word roots (Latin and Greek) as a real school subject in school, in addition to or in place of regular vocabulary study. Unless already studying them as a language.

Documentaries about how the body works/surgeons or TED talks

Discussion of realities of medicine and surgeons in specific (hours, family, children, etc). Parents guiding discussion can research how doctors feel about their professions using surveys or research studies (one good general one is - http://www.physicianspractice.com/great-american-physician-survey/2017-great-american-physician-survey-results ). I think it’s important with any potential career options to discuss realities of life in that career. Most physicians work 70+ hours per week, many delay child bearing way beyond peers, etc.

• Like 1

ETA - if her desire continues, make sure she’s on track to take bio 1 and 2, chemistry, and physics in high school (AP level if possible), maybe Anat and physiology, plus good advanced math (maybe calculus), and plan high school meticulously to help with college admissions (if she’s home schooled). For instance, following guidelines for Ivy League undergraduate admissions should ensure you’ve covered what should be (foreign languages x 4 years, etc) for any undergrad admission. Consider 6- year med school programs to decrease schooling time, and/or dual enrollment in high school to decrease total schooling burden.

We're on a pre-med path as well. DD is going into 10th grade next year. 

She's attended two summer pre-med camps and learned a ton. Check out apprenticedoctor.com as these kits are great.  DD got them when she attended summer camp.  During down time, she often pulls out the suturing kit to practice. 

Local aquarium classes were a huge help as well with great hands on labs and dissections.  

While in 8th grade, she also attended an anatomy and physiology class for 11th and 12th grade students at a local co-op. It was an expensive semester but worth it. She didn't do the homework and tests but did every dissection and lab with the class.   The hands on exposure to a higher level class at a young age solidified her passion for medicine. 

As a person who went through the medical school, here are some general advice:

- developing an interest in science, math and literacy,

- developing an interest in helping people,

- being active and healthy (so you can handle the workload).

Those will get your daughter ready. You can try out online courses for the first year medical students to let your daughter realize the gap and ask her how she would like to fill in the gap.

Depending on what area of the country you are in, learning Spanish would be a great asset as bilingual doctors are in high demand.

As another aside, I would encourage her to interact with all ages of people, those with various disabilities, social and economic classes that Are different than your, etc. A surgeon with great skill is wonderful but one that can really relate to people from various background, abilities, etc is huge.

Ok, she's only in 5th grade and her mind will change   :coolgleamA:  but she says she wants to be a surgeon when she grows up and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations of a science curriculum or even just a cool book that would be interesting for her.

My 5th grader's been saying he wants to be a brain surgeon for the last year and a half so I'll be watching and seeing what you find.

We've done a lot of reading about the brain over the past year.