What's with the ads?

Photo

Do you do language arts in both languages each day?

6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 4kookiekids

4kookiekids

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

I'm just curious at what age you start having kids to both languages every day: right off the bat, not till they're older, or something in the middle?

My oldest is 8, and some days it just feels like a lot of work to be doing everything we're doing. I don't feel like it's a lot in general:

*  piano and viola (his choice and he very much wants to continue)

*  math

*  chores

*  coding/programming (his choice, again)

*  language arts side of things, which currently includes

- reading ~1/2 hour per language (sometimes more when he gets carried away)
       - writing: 2ish sentences copy work in German, and alternating spelling working and writing a "book" in English (his preferred choice for English writing :D)
       - alternating Lesefreunde / Sprachfreunde (German language schoolbooks on reading/writing/oral stuff, since his German definitely lags behind his English skills)

I don't feel like we're doing a lot of "extras," but I feel like this is just taking too long. Part of it is fine motor skills (the writing takes roughly 1/2 hour per language, even though it's not that much). I feel like I see this "what can I cut" threads on the General education board all the time, and there's usually so much on there that one could point to and say it's not necessary to do every day. But it's harder for me to see an obvious thing to cut in our schedule, except to wonder if perhaps I should be alternating language arts, perhaps, and only do one language per day? This takes close to 5-6 hours each day, without counting breaks, and that just seems crazy to me at age 8.

#2 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18708 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

My son's Chinese immersion school focuses on English language arts from k-3 and Chinese from 4-6. (math is the reverse)

Maybe you could alternate years? Or switch at the semester?

#3 Mshokie

Mshokie

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

We didn't start homeschooling until my son was 10, but since then we have done both English and German every day. We don't do the same quantity of work in German as in English. So, for English, one day's work might be a grammar assignment and to read 3 chapters in a book. For German, it might just be to do a grammar assignment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#4 loesje22000

loesje22000

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3688 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

Doing languages solidly can be a great time effort.

During the grammar stage we did language arts in our mother tongue (Dutch) but several content subjects in English.
Science is an example of a subject she has mostly done in English.
A subject as History we have done sometimes in Dutch, sometimes in English

#5 ltlmrs

ltlmrs

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

For my nine year old we alternate time with me: English T/R and Russian M/W/F

Independently she does spelling for both languages daily.  On days that she has one-one-one time with me in one language she does copywork in the other language (so m/w/f is English copywork; t/r is Russian copywork).  About 30 min per day is spent on each language.

We're also studying Latin and that takes about 15 min.

HTH!

#6 Monica_in_Switzerland

Monica_in_Switzerland

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4350 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

If writing is still more fine-motor skill than writing to convey knowledge, I'd just do one per day- the alphabet is the same, so no big deal there.  

My 8 year old does daily:

- reading in both languages, both for pleasure and school.  I tie this to content, so her history might be in either language, same with science readings.  

- Spelling- French only (I just couldn't do both.  English spelling is improving naturally with age though, thank goodness)

- Grammar- French mostly (I've been told on this board to concentrate on the more grammatically complex language and the other will just follow behind- so far, so good.)

- Conjugation- French only, same as above

- Dictation- French only (This is the main tool with which I teach spelling and grammar)

- Narration type writing- about half and half French and English, 2-3 paragraphs a week

- Creative writing- mostly self-generated, mostly English, but occasionally French, sometimes pages and pages, sometimes nothing in a week

This is for a girl who is a strong writer both in the fine-motor sense and compositional sense.  My 10yo son and my 8yo daughter do the same program, just to give perspective.  

#7 ltlmrs

ltlmrs

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

I'm just curious at what age you start having kids to both languages every day: right off the bat, not till they're older, or something in the middle?

My oldest is 8, and some days it just feels like a lot of work to be doing everything we're doing. I don't feel like it's a lot in general:

*  piano and viola (his choice and he very much wants to continue)

*  math

*  chores

*  coding/programming (his choice, again)

*  language arts side of things, which currently includes

- reading ~1/2 hour per language (sometimes more when he gets carried away)
       - writing: 2ish sentences copy work in German, and alternating spelling working and writing a "book" in English (his preferred choice for English writing :D)
       - alternating Lesefreunde / Sprachfreunde (German language schoolbooks on reading/writing/oral stuff, since his German definitely lags behind his English skills)

I don't feel like we're doing a lot of "extras," but I feel like this is just taking too long. Part of it is fine motor skills (the writing takes roughly 1/2 hour per language, even though it's not that much). I feel like I see this "what can I cut" threads on the General education board all the time, and there's usually so much on there that one could point to and say it's not necessary to do every day. But it's harder for me to see an obvious thing to cut in our schedule, except to wonder if perhaps I should be alternating language arts, perhaps, and only do one language per day? This takes close to 5-6 hours each day, without counting breaks, and that just seems crazy to me at age 8.

Thinking some more about this:

Piano/viola/chores/coding I would not consider part of "school."  True, they are learning, but these things are just part of life: either leisure or work.  My two older girls both study music, they do lots of crafts and both are involved with house and animal chores.  Both also have 4H activities.  If I am ever audited by the school board you can be sure I'd list all of that as school time but for purposes of planning our day I only consider table work as "school."

We don't do content subjects.  I find that between audio-books, reading and field trips (including to the nature preserve) all content subjects are covered as much as I would want to at their ages: but I do not assign any of this, the kids are just interested in everything.  Ladybug keeps a nature notebook on her own, writes letters, sometimes stories; as with their reading/listening, I don't interfere: neither encourage nor discourage. These things are definitely not required.  I used to require 30 minutes of reading in Russian but at this point she does it on her own voluntarily and for much longer than that and since I neither pick what books she reads nor test her on them, this does not count as school work for my purposes.  She's at the point where Latin needs to be upped soon: that will involve dropping some English work so maybe we'll switch 15 min for Eng and 30 min for Latin.  When we add in French, it will be part of group work so it will not change the total number of hours.

All together my eldest does 2.5-3 hrs of sit down school per day M-R and half that on Fridays when we focus on composition and reviewing memory work.  M-R includes group work (15-45 min depending on the day), tutorial with me (45-1 hr) and independent work.  I don't think that's excessive for her age.

Here's a thread from when I was fretting about time spent, it really helped ease some of my anxieties, esp Nan's post: 

http://forums.welltr...-hours-per-day/