Menu

Math sequence for dyslexic going into cosmetology

I am trying to plan ahead.  My 13 year old severely dyslexic daughter is in TT7.  I expect she will do pre-Algebra and Algebra I, but after that, I'm not sure.  She isn't going to college; she'll probably go into cosmetology.  I want her to have some good accounting skills and general math, but I really don't know the sequence, since my other kids were all on the college prep track.   She will be able to dual enroll in 11th grade, and the community college does offer accounting, but I doubt she would be ready for it at that point.  What should I be teaching her before that? I have a general college math textbook so I thought maybe that for 10th grade?   Is there a business math that is on a high school level?  Is that what consumer math is?

Thanks!

Laurie

There are some good consumer math elements in CLE 800 series  but you are wanting High School level material.  I have some ideas but before making a recommendation could I ask some questions so I (and others) have a better picture?

Also, college math textbooks may be a poor fit for a child with learning challenges that is only in 10th grade, FWIW.  There are a lot of options out there but I think more information will help us get you something that is a better fit.

How well does she do with math in general?  Does she have a strong number sense? Is she solid on fractions, percents and decimals?   Have you tested her through anything other than TT for where she is at in math?  Are there any areas of math that she is stronger in than others?  Areas that are really weak?  Has TT been a good format for her (video based with color and audio support)?  Has she ever had to use workbooks or textbooks for math?

What are you doing for remediation for the dyslexia and where are her areas of strength in general, not just academically based?

While she may very well want to do Cosmetology as a career, and I would definitely be looking carefully at their admittance requirements to keep that as an option/plan, is there a particular reason you or she is absolutely not planning on her going to college? Asking so as to make the best recommendations possible for your particular situation.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Thank you all for such thoughtful replies!   

Okbud, thanks for the insights on the career field.  That's very helpful. 

OhElizabeth, that's a good idea to ask on the chat board!

Onestep, it is interesting that you mentioned CLE.  She was using CLE Sonlight units prior to this year and just working on a lower level (two years behind her age appropriate grade.)  She would make B's in that.  However, her reading tutor suggested switching her to TT, so I decided to try it, even though I am not a fan of the program in general.  She placed into 7th grade TT after completeing 4th grade CLE, and she is making B's in TT. She actually just told me today that she prefers CLE, and I think it is a better fit for her, as she gets that constant repetition of useful topics likes measurements and time, which TT 7 doesn't do.   

She performs better in math than in reading, with the exception of word problems, of course. (She's on about a 4th grade reading level.) She does have some memory issues with abstract concepts, so repetition is very useful.  She has her basic math facts down, and does well with fractions, not quite as well with decimals and percents, but still fairly good.  Her weakness, apart from word problems, would be with formulas. She currently working on some compounding interest problems, and had a bit of a struggle with that.  

I think the advantage of TT was that the lecture was read and shown to her at the same time, and hints given when working the problems.  I don't explain things as well as they do, and we would butt heads a lot over her frustration with my explanations. However, like I said, she claims she still preferred that method (a surprise to me!)

She was meeting weekly with a Barton tutor, but we've recently stopped for personal reasons.  She's now using a typing program that is supposed to help dyslexics with reading (Touch-type, Read, and Spell).  I am still looking for other materials to use at home with her.

As for cosmetology, she just really enjoys that sort of thing. She has a mobile spa that she takes around the neighborhood and earns money doing foot massages and nails for our neighbors.  She thinks she would like that, but of course she is still young.  She definitely claims she doesn't want to go to college, and I really can't envision her being able to manage that.  I think a vo-tech track would be more within her comfort zone.  I've mentioned vet tech as an option as she loves animals, but she wasn't interested in that.  If she ever expresses an interest in going to college, we'll support her in that, but it's hard to imagine that happening unless something really miraculous happens. I hate to pressure her with a college track when that's not something she is motivated to work for herself.

Her strengths are people skills, for sure.  People just really connect with her and go out of their way to do things for her.  She is also very responsible and organized (much more so than her other, much older siblings.)  She's kind but tough (she'd make a great nurse if she didn't have those memory issues).  She was adopted as a baby from a rather poor orphanage in China, and she has some serious survival skills.

O.k. a few more questions:

1.  What are the regulations in your state for High School diplomas?  Or are you in the U.S.?

2.  Why did you stop having her tutor with Barton?  Was the tutor a bad fit?  Or Barton?  How far did she get before she stopped?

3.  What sort of evaluations has she had that led you to understand she is dyslexic?  Is it possible she has comorbid issues that are making things harder?

Now for math, if CLE worked better then you might seriously consider switching back to CLE but couple it with something like CTC for video explanations.  CTC is usually on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.  So far the kids have done well with that combination (although full disclosure they now also work with a tutor).  CLE covers a lot of useful lifeskills math in level 800.  Give her the placement test, and keep in mind that no matter where she tests into, you can compress the material if she is grasping concepts well.  Just cut out some of the review in the areas she seems solid, skip the quizzes, and only do tests every other Light Unit.  Work through summers in short sessions. 

If she goes through CTC she can use that program for Geometry.  The beauty of CTC is that the lessons are usually short and she would have access to math from kinder through Calculus so if she needs to review she can easily do so.  If she finds an area of math she is doing well with and wants to go deeper she can do that, too.  DD for instance does better with Geometry than with Algebra so while she goes more slowly in algebra related concepts she likes to hop on CTC to explore Geometry concepts on the side, for fun.

• Like 1

Okbud, that is encouraging!  If she decides she wants to go to college, we will certainly support her in that.  But cosmetology does sound fun the way you describe it!

Onestep, we don't really have any specific regulations as to what we teach as far as the state is concerned.  Colleges want to see certain things, of course, but not the state.  We live in FL.

We stopped with the tutor for personal reasons.  The program itself seemed to be working well, although it's interesting.  She was making slow progress with the program, but now, after having the summer off, she has come back and is reading extremely well- much better than when she was in the program.  I don't know if it is just a maturity thing or if the current typing program is helping or even something else.

Evaluations: that's a saga.  We attempted to have a psychologist evaluate her, but the insurance refused to pay and it was too expensive to pay out of pocket, so we went through the public school system.  After meeting for IQ and reading evaluations, as well as meeting with a speech pathologist, we met with all the assembled "experts" to get their findings: that she had trouble with reading and memory and probably had dyslexia, but they wouldn't do further testing unless we put her in school.  Basically, they just told me what I already knew.

Her reading tutor is the one who confirmed our suspicions.  She isn't a licensed therapist, but has worked with dyslexic children for over forty years, so I take her word.  Unfortunately, I don't know about other issues.  I suspect there could be some (her speech also is not very clear, although the speech path said it was about 90% understandable, so not enough to affect her reading.)

I will definitely check out CTC!  I would love to have her continue with CLE, as I think it is the best math program we've ever used.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Do you know what Level in Barton she stopped at?  On a side note, sometimes it takes a bit for the Barton material to percolate so that may be why you saw the boost after she took a break.  I know with DD, she sometimes needed a bit of time off for things to brew in her brain before it all clicked.

Touch Type Read and Spell has been a good reinforcer here for stuff the kids learned in Barton but I could see for some kids that it might work as a stand alone for spelling and possibly reading if the foundation has already been laid.  Maturity also probably has affected things, though.  

I wanted to mention two other resources that might help solidify math concepts:  Key to Fractions/Percents/Decimals and Hands on Equations.  I don't recommend the Key to series as a stand alone, but running BEHIND CLE it has worked well here.   Even though CLE reviews fractions/decimals/percents quite a bit after they are introduced, DD needed master based lessons to reinforce and solidify these three very related concepts.  I started DD in Key to Fractions book one then once she finished Key to F Book 1 she moved on to book 2 of Fractions and started book 1 of Decimals.  Then once both Decimals book 1 and key to fractions book 2 were completed she started Book 3 of Fractions, Book 2 of Decimals and Book 1 of Percents.  Running them behind each other actually helped tremendously with reinforcement.  Since fractions, percents and decimals will be more needed in her daily life and actually those three concepts are also really important for getting through Algebra, I would definitely make certain she is solid in those area.

Hands on Equations is really great for solidifying basic Algebra concepts.

• Like 1

Thanks, onestep, I might use those Keys for summer reinforcement.  That's a good idea!  I'll have to have a look at Hands on Equations as well.  Thanks for the ideas!

Oh, I'm not sure what level she stopped with Barton.  I know she is past the first two levels for sure, but after that, I don't know.

• Like 1

Thanks, onestep, I might use those Keys for summer reinforcement.  That's a good idea!  I'll have to have a look at Hands on Equations as well.  Thanks for the ideas!

Oh, I'm not sure what level she stopped with Barton.  I know she is past the first two levels for sure, but after that, I don't know.

If reading/spelling is still a struggle or at least slower and more difficult than it should be but you don't want to return to the Barton tutor or tutor her yourself with Barton you might look at ElizabethB's materials.  Link below to another thread running on LC board that might have relevance for you.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/660937-reading-and-the-9th-grader/

• Like 2

If reading/spelling is still a struggle or at least slower and more difficult than it should be but you don't want to return to the Barton tutor or tutor her yourself with Barton you might look at ElizabethB's materials. Link below to another thread running on LC board that might have relevance for you.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/660937-reading-and-the-9th-grader/

The syllables have been helpful for my students with dyslexia. You could work through my sylllables program with her and she could watch my online phonics lessons on her own.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonicslsnslinks.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2