Menu

When a friend owes you money

Scarlett

If your husband thinks it's not a regular employer : employee relationship - and it sounds like he does - then it isn't one.

I don't know what this means. If you are hired to do work you expect to get paid. Period. I don't care if it is a 'regular' job or a 1099 job. Paid for work is paid for work. There was no ambiguity. They were working over night tearing out and re doing bathrooms in a multi level attorney's office building. So no confusion that maybe he was doing a favor for a friend.

It means that your husband doesn't agree with you. I mean, he obviously doesn't agree with you or he would have gone to small claims court over this. And he hasn't. And no matter how much you say "DUH! NO AMBIGUITY!" he clearly thinks there IS some ambiguity and that he WAS doing a favor for a friend.

Here are your choices at this point: You can go legal, or you can drop it. Going to the courts is going to create a rift not just between hubby and his friend, but also you and your spouse. Is that really something you want to do?

If so, great, more power to you. Have fun.

• Like 1

They are like brothers. They share tools and equipment. You have to reframe it in your thinking to "family" even though it grates. I am assuming that your dh figures that if his friend had it, he would pay it. Or maybe he's mentally charging six months rent on that trailer you dh has had. What else has he loaned dh? How much would it be to rent or buy those items? You might think about how much your dh owes the friend, too, and maybe that will make you less mad.

To quote Frankie Heck, "You do for family." I think this counts.

My husband is owed money from a friend who runs a contracting business. I honestly don’t know how much. It’s for work done years ago. DH has borrowed a lot of tools, including a lift, from this friend while doing remodeling on our home. He considered the debt repayed, because renting the tools and lift would have cost a lot more than what friend owes him.

I don’t sweat things. I suspect the amount is around $1500. We really could use It. But I’ve chosen to let it go. DH has.

It means that your husband doesn't agree with you. I mean, he obviously doesn't agree with you or he would have gone to small claims court over this. And he hasn't. And no matter how much you say "DUH! NO AMBIGUITY!" he clearly thinks there IS some ambiguity and that he WAS doing a favor for a friend.

Here are your choices at this point: You can go legal, or you can drop it. Going to the courts is going to create a rift not just between hubby and his friend, but also you and your spouse. Is that really something you want to do?

If so, great, more power to you. Have fun.

Dh absolutely agrees with me he is owed the money.

Okay, great. So tell him to go to small claims court. Problem over.

Like I said, those are the only two solutions: Small claims court. Let it drop. There is no third solution.

I think that is fairly obvious. The thread was asking the question should I let it go.

Actually, there is a third solution, which is that you ask the guy for the money, but I'm not sure how your dh would react to that.

I would not do that. It would be damaging to my relationship with my husband which I value much more than 1000.

After reading here.....I have decided to mention to Dh that that 1000 would go a long ways toward a vehicle for dss16. And suggest he tell his friend he is trying to buy his son a car and needs the money. If he chooses not to do it or it doesn't motivate the friend to pay....well I will never mention it again. To anyone.

• Like 4

I would not do that. It would be damaging to my relationship with my husband which I value much more than 1000.

After reading here.....I have decided to mention to Dh that that 1000 would go a long ways toward a vehicle for dss16. And suggest he tell his friend he is trying to buy his son a car and needs the money. If he chooses not to do it or it doesn't motivate the friend to pay....well I will never mention it again. To anyone.

I think that's an excellent approach. :)

• Like 3