What's with the ads?

#1 ballzy

ballzy

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

I am thinking of using Megawords with my ds11. For those of you who have used it, is the teacher's guide necessary? 

Thanks.

#2 ondreeuh

ondreeuh

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4144 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:47 AM

Yes. There are many exercises where the teacher reads something aloud and the student writes it, or divides it into syllables, or what have you. You definitely need the TM,

#3 Lori D.

Lori D.

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11676 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Yes, an ondreeuh says, several of the exercises in each unit have the teacher dictate a list of specific syllables to the student. The teacher guide also contains all the answers to all of the exercises, which makes grading a snap.

On the other hand, I discovered you *can* manage without it if you have to. The first year we used Megawords, I somehow forgot I had the teacher guide, and when we came to those exercises requiring me to dictate the list of syllables, in advance of dictating the syllables, I had to take about 10 minutes for each exercise to go back and figure out exactly which syllables were going to be needed. Grading also took more time. About 2 months into the school year, I stumbled over the teacher guide and it was amazing how much less time Spelling took from me.  :rolleyes:

So it *can* be done with the teacher guide -- it just ends up taking more time and energy. 

You might also look around and see if anyone is selling the teacher guides used for your edition at a cheaper price than new. I gave mine away to my homeschool group to help out others.

Edited by Lori D., 11 October 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#4 ballzy

ballzy

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Thanks ondreeuh and Lori! I will look for a TG.

Anything to save time :)

• ElizabethB likes this

#5 PentecostalMom

PentecostalMom

Trying to follow the Son...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yes, I use mine nearly daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ByGrace3