Menu

Stick or Switch?

DS 4.5 big-puffy-heart loves math & always has.

We started using RightStart A last year, which he finished in ~6mo. We ended up taking Dec & March off, so are now halfway through RS B. It is moving far too slowly. I am having to double / triple lessons to keep it fun & am skipping worksheets almost entirely because by the time we get to them he's got the concept down pat.

So should I stick with RightStart, just condensing 2 levels a year... or switch to something else entirely?

I already purchased RS C. DS still *likes* RightStart & I do, too aside from the pacing issue. The games are fun & he has no idea I'm condensing the lessons.

If we switch, I'm thinking Singapore + CWP. I'm definitely ordering BA 2a as soon as it's released.

You own it and he likes it, I think you should keep making it work. Especially if you are interested in moving to BA. You don't want to be making that many switches if you can avoid it, right? When you order BA 2A, I would order the level 3 ones too, it shouldn't be a big deal to do them slightly out of order at the start and that will keep you moving while you wait on their publishing schedule.

I guess it depends on how much you mind using RS differently than written and whether you think RS is the best fit for your kid.  If you think he'd learn better or just as well with a different set up and that would be easier for you, go for it.  Otherwise, I'd stick to what you're already doing.

My DS#3 moves quickly through RS too.  Over the most recent 11 months of school (doing roughly 3 days/week), he's completed A and B and is ~12 lessons from finishing C (1st edition), plus MEP 1 and 3/4 of MEP 2.  I definitely compact, accelerate, and skip redundant worksheets and review lessons.  It doesn't bother me at all.  He truly enjoys RS and the card games and responds well to the RS teaching methods.  I just bought him level D (2nd edition, b/c 1st edition D is boring).  Ultimately, my plan is to move him over to BA, but I don't think he has the maturity or mental fortitude to tackle BA 3 yet.  I'll order BA 2A and 2B as they are released this coming school year, but that won't be enough for the whole year for him.  Plus, RS is ideal for how he learns (very kinesthetic), so it's worth it to me to keep RS going for now.

We probably would have stuck with RightStart if DD had continued to enjoy it. We combined a lot of lessons in B. In C, we skipped all the review, plus combined lessons, and finished the level in about 2 months, IIRC, but DD was still miserable with the pacing, didn't like the games, and no longer enjoyed the manipulatives, which is why we moved on.

You own it and he likes it, I think you should keep making it work. Especially if you are interested in moving to BA. You don't want to be making that many switches if you can avoid it, right? When you order BA 2A, I would order the level 3 ones too, it shouldn't be a big deal to do them slightly out of order at the start and that will keep you moving while you wait on their publishing schedule.

We'll be using BA as a fun supplement, not switching to it as our spine.

Good idea to go ahead & order BA 3... I wasn't sure he'd be ready for it, but at this rate he'll likely have finished RS C by the end of the year & that is one of the recommended prerequisites.