Menu

Paradise Lost teaching resources

My kid just asked if we could study Paradise Lost.  :eek:

Can anyone point me to any good teaching resources, study guides, lectures, or any other materials you've found helpful? I know it by reputation but I've not read it myself.

Rose, is there any chance you want an adult to do it with you?

• Like 1

By do it do you mean read it? study it? teach it?

I confess I'm feeling a little out of my comfort zone with this one. 

I'll read it with you if you want somebody to talk it over with and brainstorm assignments. Nobody in my real life, and I mean nobody, would read Paradise Lost with me. I wouldn't worry about being out of your comfort zone. For high school, you are as much a learning partner as a teacher.

• Like 1

Lisa, that would be totally awesome! Should we start a thread, read and talk about a book a week kind of thing? Or a couple books a week? Other people can join in if they want? Or we could PM.  I've never done a read along here on the high school board before, not sure if there is a protocol.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 1

Lisa, that would be totally awesome! Should we start a thread, read and talk about a book a week kind of thing? Or a couple books a week? Other people can join in if they want? Or we could PM.  I've never done a read along here on the high school board before, not sure if there is a protocol.

I am totally open either way. I have the Great Courses lecture series, which is on sale right now for the audio download at $12.95.  The professor suggests this copy in the starter materials, if you don't already have one.  There are only 12 lectures and the first four or so are reading some of his poetry to prepare for Paradise Lost. You tell me what works best for your dd. I am totally flexible as I don't have a student.

I am working my way through The Bible and Its Influence, which will go with this perfectly. I can send you the info on Milton and the Bible.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 1

Thanks Angela! We started listening to the Milton course from the Teaching Company yesterday. I think this will be a great guide through our study of Milton. Just what I was looking for - something short enough to cover in a few weeks while we go through the audio version of the poem. Thanks all for the Anton Lesser suggestion, too, as an audiobook reader, we love him, and were just watching him in The Hollow Crown. I'll look for that audio version, for sure.

• Like 1

I haven't taught it, but I have enjoyed the Naxos audiobook and of course, C.S. Lewis' Preface to PL. 

Make sure you check out C.S. Lewis's Preface to Paradise Lost. It is a short, inexpensive book and indispensable.

For those of you that used C.S. Lewis's Preface to Paradise Lost, have you had a student read it and if so, at what age? I just received my copy and am only a few pages into it and am trying to reserve my judgement.