Menu

List of online course websites?

There's got to be a website that lists a lot of the available online (live or recorded) course providers, right? Like Homeschool Connections, HSLDA Academy, and the like? 

I'm looking for an English composition class. I thought HSLDA's Foundations in Writing would be perfect for 9th grade, but it's $395.00!!!  Yikes!

I agree. $395 does seem to be on the cheaper end of those things. I see many who outsource all or most of their high school courses and think, wow, that must be quite a big homeschool budget!  Good for them!  :)

I am not criticizing but am just amazed as I try to keep the entire year of my high schooler b/w $500-$800 and I am sure even THAT is even a big budget for some. But at $400 a pop, if I outsourced even just 2 classes I am already at my max with several classes left to cover.

I see what everyone else is doing and I will admit that sometimes I feel some pressure that I "should" be doing online or outsourced classes.

I guess we all have different circumstances and some feel they have no other option so it's good they are being offered. But personally that's not for us.

I outsourced biology this year simply b/c we moved to a new state and wanted to give my teen the opportunity to meet some other homeschoolers. But at $375 I hope I don't need to do that again. I feel we missed out on doing that subject together and I would have done some things a little differently.

There is so much out there as far as curriculum that I just feel like, (again, for me/us), that there is no reason I need to go elsewhere. 

O.k. I have started a long list of on-line providers over on the Gen ed board.  It isn't polished yet, and they aren't organized into anything yet but there are some sources on there that are not very expensive and some even offer resources at a substantial discount.  You might try looking through those and see if anything fits.  I will continue to work on it as I have time and hopefully others will continue to post reviews...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/638806-master-list-of-on-line-classes/

• Like 2