Menu

History help needed please!

jens2sons

I am having a heck of a time trying to decide which history spine I want to use.   I first tried SL Core C that uses CHOW but it has too many choices and I'm overwhelmed with all the books, plus it seems to go way too fast though such an important time in history.  I am currently using SOTW2 with the AG but what is bothering me is that I'm having a hard time with it chronologically (timeline).  We really like the project options, coloring pages and maps.  But the reading lists, I feel, are so boring.  I really want to add in some historical fiction such as The Door in the Wall, The Sword in the Tree, The Whipping Boy, Viking Adventure, etc. but I don't know when to add them to SOW2.  I own the All Through the Ages book that tells what stage in history but I'm still a bit lost.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have thought about not using either spine and just going with the Homeschool in the Woods Project Passport for the Middle Ages but I'm not sure if it would be too old for a 3rd/4th grader.  

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.  Thanks! 

If you go to VP's site, they have lists of books marked by level (+/- or on) for each year of their history.  So like they put the Middle Ages as their MARR in grade 4.  It's not grade-specific, but that's where they put it.  Their listings then, under history, will be marked up/down if they are above or below that, allowing people to flex for ages and reading levels.  

If you like SOTW and just want to add some pizazz, I would just go to VP, pick out 6 books from their lists, and put them in a pile to read through.  Also pick a couple kits.  They usually have something snazzy, like a book on heraldry and how to make your own family crest, that kind of thing.  If you plan one book a month, you can usually get through that.  Maybe you want more, fine.  I just know I'm not super regular, lol.  

The books don't have to perfectly correlate to what you're reading.  For bonus, look at their lit suggestions for the same grade.  They do the Hobbit in grade 4 for their lit.  If your dc isn't ready to read it (he's 2nd or 3rd now?), then you could do it on audio or as a read aloud.  

The Whipping Boy is fun for that age.  The audiobook version is awesome!  Viking Adventure is Bulla.  Door in the Wall is a higher reading level.  You want to read them or you want him to read them?  If you're reading them, just have a pile and put into your plan 20 minutes of read aloud a day.  Or getting them as audiobooks and put them on while he plays legos.  :D