Menu

Harry Potter Party

Beaniemom

I know others have thrown Harry Potter themed parties but I can not seem to find the posts. DD now decided she wants potions in addition to the games at her party. Most of the potion "recipes" I'm seeing involve foaming or exploding things which is not an option since we are having the party indoors at a borrowed community center space. Could anyone point me toward potion recipes that are more on the "pretty liquids in bottles" side than science experiment side?

Weird, I thought I replied to this! Sorry if this shows up twice.

Here's what we did for our party. More on the science experiment end of things, but no explosions or foaming. (Although it was part of a greater focus of study for the whole day on the magical Narcissus flower, there's more info about how we worked it all together in the other linked posts there if you want it.

There are a lot of "potions" punch recipes that you could use that look pretty impressive, if you're okay with making a potion that the kids will drink later. Here's a neat-looking one that you could present as almost any potion in the books if you wants. 

The Forgetfulness Potion at the bottom of this post might work well for you as well. It's foaming/bubbling, but the results are very contained.

• Like 1

I made potion bottles as a gift to my nephew. I decided not to put anything in them! I could have put colored glue or such, but decided to leave them empty and just paint the insides. Then he could store coins or something in them if he wanted. Or just leave them on display.

The labels were found online. I found other misc. Hogwarts stuff online as well. I'll attach images. There's a map, train pass, Hogwarts letter/envelope you can print, & bookmarks. I might be able to relocate the stuff if you need it.

For potions I took the riddle in the first book and tweaked it just slightly. Then I took seven (however many are mentioned in the riddle) vials of different sizes and shapes. I filled all but one vial with a small amount of vinegar diluted with water. The last vial I used a pinch or two of sugar, also filled with water. Then I cooled then all with various colors of food coloring.

The kids needed to read the riddle and solve for the vital that would allow them to continue on in their Harry potter party. It was super fun! They did manage to solve it correctly, but then they wanted to try the poison. Super great faces, lots of laughter.

When my dd turned 11 she got a "potion" book and supplies. i created the book using recipes that use essential oils. Recipes were things like "Lockhart's hair detangler" "ron's spider be gone" "magical calming spray" "Hermione's study aide"

Then I had a selection of vials, oils and anything else needed. It was well loved. I don't use oils, and picked up cheap ones or purchased sample sized containers from the friends I have that sell.

I found my recipes by flipping through am eo book from the library- just looked for things dd would use then created a Harry potter type name.

hth!