Menu

S/O A Christmas Story, My own story

Night Elf

S/O of A Christmas Story. I said I could relate to that movie. For me, it wasn't a BB gun, it was a paddle ball. The wooden paddle with a ball attached by means of an elastic string. All my friends had one but my mom wouldn't buy me one because she was afraid I'd bounce the ball in my face and hurt myself. I remember being so disappointed on Christmas morning that I didn't get that toy.

Although I don't recall any other dangerous toys, I do know I had obsessions that would have me praying to God every night leading up to Christmas that I would be good forever if he would just let me have that one thing. It's funny now. As an adult, I have no idea what big ideas I had. It sure did seem real and intense when I was a kid!

And I have a big sister who was mean to me all the time. For example, every Christmas, she would tell me Santa wasn't bringing me anything and I wasn't allowed to touch her toys. And every year I believed her. And she wonders now why we aren't closer. Geez!

• Like 4

My sister and I fought like cats and dogs...throwing things, etc. And yet love each other totally, and would always stand up for each other against my parents, etc. Very much like Ralphie and his brother. 

And my mom could make anything better. Kind of like the mom there. I'd be so upset over something, and she'd calm me down, find the old glasses or whatever, and handle things. (never any soap in the mouth though....she was sure that would poison a kid lol). 

My mom threatened to wash my mouth out with soap once after watching that movie...  not for a swear word, but for sass.  Of course, we didn't actually use soap, we used Zest detergent bars, and I was curious.  I tasted it.  And gagged so hard I threw up in my bath that night.  Mom never threatened me with soap again.  I think someone she knew told her detergent bars were poisonous.