Menu

Aops pre algebra

Dear Hive,

I am in panic mode. My dd10 was on track till last night to finish MM 7B ( just geometry and statistics prob left). And start Jacobs algebra with Veristas press online ( all paid). Today she declared she cannot take MM anymore and it is so not fun and started working on Aops PreA square roots and almost done with the chapter and she is loving it. Do you think she can finish geometry and statistics/Probability in one month? I would like to review other basic math after finishing it. I am panicking now because MM is easy to schedule but not Aops.😭😭 Help please

That half of the text is relatively evenly-paced.  If she is highly motivated, she may be able to get through about a lesson per day for most of ch 9-14 (naturally there may be exceptions).  Allow one day for chapter review questions and save the challenge ones for later if there's time.  AoPS is definitely way more fun for those particular topics than MM.

The wrinkle is that Jacobs may seem boring by comparison.

• Like 2

I would second the idea that AoPS preA is probably not the biggest issue.  The biggest issue is that once someone discovers AoPS and like it, conventional math becomes a total drag.  It appears you might have paid for a highly conventional program and...well...now you have a tween who might not like it.  Time to duck and hide! :leaving:

That half of the text is relatively evenly-paced.  If she is highly motivated, she may be able to get through about a lesson per day for most of ch 9-14 (naturally there may be exceptions).  Allow one day for chapter review questions and save the challenge ones for later if there's time.  AoPS is definitely way more fun for those particular topics than MM.

The wrinkle is that Jacobs may seem boring by comparison.

Today she flew by and hope she sticks with the pace. I thought Aops Algebra might be too much for her to handle as a stand alone. Didn't think she would love it. :(

Thank you so much for the reply

I would look at the long term issue. AOPS Is really for extremely and I mean extremely math able and self motivated kids who love to spend time solving mathematical puzzles that make math Olympiads looks like child's play.

If you were a math major yourself and love this kind of thing I would Say go for it.

However otherwise I would caution you to start out with whatever other math program you were planning to use and just use AOPS as a supplement and you can get a LOT out of it that way. The scope and sequence is different and the online classes are almost no help. The online classes are good if you get it and you just want an accredited grade but if you are really struggling through a.l chapter they're no help at all.

I would recommend to keep the Jacobs with Veritas that you paid for. Your daughter can supplement with AOPS -if she truly loves math she will. Or you can pick and choose some problems from AOPS.

Jacobs is not too easy and a good solid program for bright students. My son used half the book last year and it was good - you do need either a teacher or online class or you need the TM to teach it yourself because the boom itself does NOT teach all the concepts thoroughly and clearly. But the problem sets are so well done and the book and layout as well as the way it scaffolds are non intimidating and very friendly. However Jacobs sneaks in some more advanced logical thinking problems that will be interesting and challenging.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 3

I would look at the long term issue. AOPS Is really for extremely and I mean extremely math able and self motivated kids who love to spend time solving mathematical puzzles that make math Olympiads looks like child's play.

If you were a math major yourself and love this kind of thing I would Say go for it.

However otherwise I would caution you to start out with whatever other math program you were planning to use and just use AOPS as a supplement and you can get a LOT out of it that way. The scope and sequence is different and the online classes are almost no help. The online classes are good if you get it and you just want an accredited grade but if you are really struggling through a.l chapter they're no help at all.

I would recommend to keep the Jacobs with Veritas that you paid for. Your daughter can supplement with AOPS -if she truly loves math she will. Or you can pick and choose some problems from AOPS.

Jacobs is not too easy and a good solid program for bright students. My son used half the book last year and it was good - you do need either a teacher or online class or you need the TM to teach it yourself because the boom itself does NOT teach all the concepts thoroughly and clearly. But the problem sets are so well done and the book and layout as well as the way it scaffolds are non intimidating and very friendly. However Jacobs sneaks in some more advanced logical thinking problems that will be interesting and challenging.

I am a Math Major! Teaching Aops is not an issue but I don't want her to lose her confidence eventually with tough problems in Aops! I am going to follow your advice and do Jacobs with Veristas ( they meet oblibe twice) and supplement with Aops if she wants it.

Thank you so much for a detailed reply

Ps AOPS pre -Alg is much much easier than Alg

FWIW, there are people who feel the opposite.  IMO, they are about even, with the first half of Prealgebra and the second half (or maybe the middle?) of Intro to Alg being more difficult than the second half of Prealgebra and the first half of Intro to Alg.

More importantly, Intro to Alg will feel less difficult for the student who has been through the Prealgebra text than for the student who has not.

What's fun about Jacobs is that the learning is developed over the course of the Set 2 exercises in a manner not unlike the lesson problems in AoPS, i.e. a sort of guided discovery, albeit at a much more gentle level.  We took breaks from AoPS Prealgebra using chapters in the first half of Jacobs (the easier half of that text) and after a short bit there's always a request to return to AoPS.

ETA, as far as building confidence, there are different types.  One type may be the confidence that comes from retention and quick recall.  Quite another is the confidence-building that comes from succeeding at a challenging task such as problem solving.  I love hearing that "yesssssss!" when they got it, the thrill of solving the puzzle.  That thrill can be addictive in the very best sense for developing the confidence to attempt problems one has no idea how to do, which as Ruczyk would say, applies across disciplines.

I would definitely encourage supplementing with Alcumus as well as possible participation in MathCounts and later the AMC 10/12 for further problem solving experience and talent development.  Supplementing with the Intro to Alg text would be a little tricky logistically.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 4

My kids like the aops prealgebra geometry and statistics chapters more than the algebra chapters. It can be done in a month but you can also do those chapters alongside Jacobs Algebra.

We didn't schedule aops books, we just go with the flow. I'm not a math major though. My kids need both computation confidence and problem solving confidence. Some real life task just needs people to compute fast like ACT/SAT and some can wait for problem solving like AMC.

FWIW, there are people who feel the opposite. IMO, they are about even, with the first half of Prealgebra and the second half (or maybe the middle?) of Intro to Alg being more difficult than the second half of Prealgebra and the first half of Intro to Alg.

More importantly, Intro to Alg will feel less difficult for the student who has been through the Prealgebra text than for the student who has not.

What's fun about Jacobs is that the learning is developed over the course of the Set 2 exercises in a manner not unlike the lesson problems in AoPS, i.e. a sort of guided discovery, albeit at a much more gentle level. We took breaks from AoPS Prealgebra using chapters in the first half of Jacobs (the easier half of that text) and after a short bit there's always a request to return to AoPS.

ETA, as far as building confidence, there are different types. One type may be the confidence that comes from retention and quick recall. Quite another is the confidence-building that comes from succeeding at a challenging task such as problem solving. I love hearing that "yesssssss!" when they got it, the thrill of solving the puzzle. That thrill can be addictive in the very best sense for developing the confidence to attempt problems one has no idea how to do, which as Ruczyk would say, applies across disciplines.

I would definitely encourage supplementing with Alcumus as well as possible participation in MathCounts and later the AMC 10/12 for further problem solving experience and talent development. Supplementing with the Intro to Alg text would be a little tricky logistically.

Agreed. Those aha! Moments this year made my son loved math again even alongside the (literal) tears of being stuck at the end of AOPS time and time again with no one to help him.

Jacobs is a great book (provided you have a teacher/TM) -