Menu

Phonemic Awareness resources

The university library I now live near has this book, Phonemic Awareness in Young Children by Marilyn Adams. It looks decent for the price, I checked out their copy to look it over, you can check out up to 10 items at a time as a non student. (Yay!!)

http://www.amazon.com/Phonemic-Awareness-Young-Children-Curriculum/dp/1557663211/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452582170&sr=1-1&keywords=phonemic+awareness+in+young+children

I know LiPS is the goto here, but are there any other reasonably priced things people here have used?

• Like 2

I have seen that book be really recommended, and I have looked at the free sample on Amazon.

It looks really good to me.

I think it is written for a whole-class level or a 1st-intervention-to-try level. 

That is a really good level.

Then, if a child is just not making progress, that is when you might go on to LIPS.

And, you could jump to LIPS, too.  But maybe it is really not necessary for a lot of kids, who do still need extra practice with phonemic awareness. 

But I think this is a quality program, too.  In the preview, it looked like it had fun game ideas, too. 

Part of the issue in general, is that this book is aimed at pre-school in a lot of ways.  So -- you can't really put an older child into a pre-school program, b/c the games are way too babyish. 

But for younger kids ---- that is a non-issue. 

I think a lot of things can be adapted, too, for different age levels. 

ElizabethB -- there are a lot of game ideas for phonemic awareness on readingrockets.org, too.  They have changed their website a lot, so I don't know exactly where they would be.  But I watched videos of teachers/tutors playing the games with kids, and that was helpful to me, too.  http://www.readingrockets.org/reading-topics/phonemic-awareness  On this page, the "Classroom Strategies" section I think goes to the games I did.  I liked Elkonin boxes a lot, even though I didn't do them just like in the example.  I did more of drawing blank underlines ____ _____ ____ on a dry erase board.  But it helped a lot with segmenting, for my son to have something to move, and a space to move it to.  I actually used the letter tiles from AAS and had him say the letter sound as he segmented it that way, but it is a lot like Elkonin boxes, and a bunch of things along those lines were really good for him.  Once he was getting the hang of it, it was easier to branch out and practice it in different ways. 

This book http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-2nd-Scholastic-Teaching-Strategies/dp/0439845114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452617651&sr=8-1&keywords=phonics+a+to+z Phonics A to Z says "phonics" in the title, but it has a lot of phonemic awareness games and ideas, too.  I really, really like this book.  I would look for it at the library, too, if it is available.  He is working with more of a range of kids (elementary school age I think). 

The book you have linked is (iirc) aimed more at a pre-school/Kindergarten/1st grade age group in a lot of ways.  I think that is going to be why fewer people on this board may not have used it.... we are more likely to have a little older kids, I think, and not be as interested in books with "for young children" in the title ---- or really expecting to have to adapt quite a bit, and so be more interested in things that would not take that amount of adaptation, if that makes sense.  That was my feeling toward that book, when I looked at the sample, even though at the same time, I thought it looked very high-quality, and I have seen it referenced in other books as a high-quality book.   

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I am teaching a co-op class for younger children and a few of them have low level speech/language problems that can probably be fixed with something cheaper than LiPS, so thanks for the links, Lecka.  They all have limited $ and more time than $ to try things, and their kids are young enough to try alternatives without bringing out the big guns.  Plus, it's always nice to have all the resources in one thread for people who are looking for this type of thing.

• Like 2

I know that phonological awareness isn't the same as phonemic awareness, but I checked out a book from the library this week that may interest you.  The book is The Intensive Phonological Awareness Program by C. Melanie Schuele and Naomi D. Murphy.  The forward is done by Louisa C. Moats and she highly recommends this program.  Included in it are twelve weeks of lessons and a CD to print activities.  It includes multisensory activities.  It starts with rhyming but does eventually get into having student feel their mouths, use mirrors, and notice other differences with similar sounding phonemes.  You can see some of the book as a preview on Amazon.  I haven't finished reading through it, but so far find it interesting.  That said, I love hearing others ideas and learning from all of you.  The only other programs I have used that incorporate phonological or phonemic awareness are AAR Pre-reading and LOE Foundations A which I know aren't enough for all kids and I don't think my 5 yr old is read for either.  I still feel new to this area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My son's therapist is ordering Phonemic Awareness in Young Children, she is going to be reimbursed through her employer.

I am excited! 

He is having some success with first sounds in words now :)

He does not have dyslexia signs, it is more of an overall delay and needing a lot of practice. 

• Like 2